Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I posted on here earlier in the week with some arrow questions. I finally got around to bare shafting. I shoot a 55lb Montana, and draw around 27-27.25 best I can tell marking my arrows when I draw. Right now I shoot 2016s cut to 29" with 125 gr heads. I was getting some nock left in flight in any wind. Any.. I decided to bare shaft these arrows.. Got bad results. They wanted to nose dive and looked to be planing hard with left to right. I also had some old 2018s around a few cut to 28", one cut to 29", one cut to 28.5. Have tried a variation of head weight and shaft length and the best combo I get is 28" 2018 with 175 gr head. The problem being, once I put a broadhead on I cant draw all the way because the back of my stinger hits my first finger on bow hand.... These arrow though with a good release the bare shafts flew like darts. I tried 28.5 with 145-155 and it flew ok, but slight nock kick right in flight if my release wasn't spot on. So far it seems like my Montana prefers a stiffer arrow than my number crunching came up with. Will 28.75" 2018 with 150 or 175 gr heads put my arrow flight similar to the 28" 2018 with 175? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Try them at 5 yards first. For a right handed archer the bare shafts hitting left are stiff, right are weak - adjust point weight or cut until they group with your fletched shafts, then back up to 10 and repeat. Any up and down misses are caused by nocking point - adjust this out first.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was shooting bare shafts at 18-20 yards. Point of impact was very close for most of the combinations I tried, but with the 28" 2018 with 175 gr fletched and bare shaft arrows would touch when I shot them well.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds similar to what I went through. I saw same results as you with same shafts. I wanted to shoot 125gr heads, so I got some gamegetters 400s (2117) and trimmed to tune.

If you don't have one, I suggest getting the field tip treat kit. Givers you 5 or 6 different weight tips and only 5 bucks. May want to get some 5 grain weight washers too if you are trying to fine tune a particular length of a particular shaft.

Personally I think the gamegetters would look pretty good with that bow

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Try running some numbers through this http://heilakka.com/stumiller/ it's a good way to compare numbers and will usually get you very close especially if you have one combination that works and can be used for a base line.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
OK guys, I posted on here earlier in the week with some arrow questions. I finally got around to bare shafting. I shoot a 55lb Montana, and draw around 27-27.25 best I can tell marking my arrows when I draw. Right now I shoot 2016s cut to 29" with 125 gr heads. I was getting some nock left in flight in any wind. Any.. I decided to bare shaft these arrows.. Got bad results. They wanted to nose dive and looked to be planing hard with left to right. I also had some old 2018s around a few cut to 28", one cut to 29", one cut to 28.5. Have tried a variation of head weight and shaft length and the best combo I get is 28" 2018 with 175 gr head. The problem being, once I put a broadhead on I cant draw all the way because the back of my stinger hits my first finger on bow hand.... These arrow though with a good release the bare shafts flew like darts. I tried 28.5 with 145-155 and it flew ok, but slight nock kick right in flight if my release wasn't spot on. So far it seems like my Montana prefers a stiffer arrow than my number crunching came up with. Will 28.75" 2018 with 150 or 175 gr heads put my arrow flight similar to the 28" 2018 with 175? Thanks.
Personal recommendations, charts, calculators, astrology, all are nothing but approximations. I think you are reading your results correctly, you need the stiffer shafts, whether you need a longer 2018 or a longer shaft in a different spine...? You need a longer shaft and I agree that adding length will require a bit less point weight, how much...?

Do you have a particular broadhead you want to use? If it's a 175 grain head you will probably have to go up in spine and cut back 1/4" at a time until you get good bare shaft flight. There's no real problem with having arrows a little too long, but as you found out too short is a big problem with broadheads. I often wear a heavy glove on my bow hand (cold weather) and never want to worry about interference, so I'm shooting 31" arrows at my 29.25" draw length.

If you add an inch to your arrow length and stick with the 2018 you will probably be able to tune them but with a lighter point. You could then buy broadheads of that weight. You mentioned Stinger broadheads, I don't remember what they weight, but if they are in the 125 grain range they might be fine.

You obviously need longer arrows to for broadheads. If you want to keep the point weight relatively high, you will probably need a stiffer spine. If you don't mind a lighter point, a longer 2018 might work. The only way to know is to try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts