Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have sold all my compound bows and am strictly shooting recurves.
Was shooting instinctive and having a great time.
Indoor 300 league was coming around so found a G1, limbs and decided to go barebow in league.
Also giving gap shooting a try.
My gap aiming point at 20 yds is lower than X as I would have figured with anchor middle finger corner of mouth.
Also dealing with an aiming point off to left of X by at least 10" ( left handed shooter )
My only three times I have scored have been in the low 240's. ( wow what a humbling experience to my compound scores lol )
I believe it would be to my advantage to try to get the arrow under my eye to take out the aiming left of target.
Will be playing around with anchor points in the near future.
Those of you that have been through this have any input?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
279 Posts
You may want to adjust where the string blur is placed once you are at anchor to move your aiming point in line with the X (this assumes you have a good tune already through bareshaft testing). If the string blur isn't touching the arrow shaft in your sight picture, this could be what is causing your aiming point to move left.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info from both of you.
I've shot a Oly recurve for many years so setup isn't an issue.
And string blur can help make sure the arrow is under my eye.
I worked out a new anchor yesterday and can now aim directly below the X and stay on target.
If my draw wasn't so long could get longer arrows to help move my gap closer to the X.
But that's the breaks.
Will shoot a 300 today and see what happens.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You may want to adjust where the string blur is placed once you are at anchor to move your aiming point in line with the X (this assumes you have a good tune already through bareshaft testing). If the string blur isn't touching the arrow shaft in your sight picture, this could be what is causing your aiming point to move left.
I've always had trouble getting my barebow setups to shoot centered left/right, this might be what I need to try. I've just always picked a spot for my string blue to where it was the easiest to line up. Sorry to hijack the thread haha

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've always had trouble getting my barebow setups to shoot centered left/right, this might be what I need to try. I've just always picked a spot for my string blue to where it was the easiest to line up. Sorry to hijack the thread haha
What are your issues? Too much on the weak side, too much on the stiff side?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
What are your issues? Too much on the weak side, too much on the stiff side?

Currently my arrows want to go to the right pretty much no matter what, not sure if that's showing stiff or weak. The bareshafts flew pretty much perfect when I tested them a couple months ago. My string blur is along the left edge of the riser (right handed), it was always the easiest to line up but I never thought to change that to fix my arrows not wanting to be centered.

·
Registered
493 Posts
For the most part I've only played around with the plunger tension to get them more centered. When I set this bow up for 3D I got a tune that worked well enough, I was mostly centered at 20 and knew how far to the right or left to aim when crawling for different distances. I only started shooting indoor this week, and I'd like to get it centered because I had a similar issue during indoor last year with a different setup.

·
Registered
498 Posts
For the most part I've only played around with the plunger tension to get them more centered. When I set this bow up for 3D I got a tune that worked well enough, I was mostly centered at 20 and knew how far to the right or left to aim when crawling for different distances. I only started shooting indoor this week, and I'd like to get it centered because I had a similar issue during indoor last year with a different setup.
If the arrows are flying well, don't be afraid moving the plunger (centershot)

·
Registered
493 Posts
If the arrows are flying well, don't be afraid moving the plunger (centershot)

I may try that next. Tonight I shot with my string blur down the middle of the riser, and my groups were definitely a lot more centered. Shot a competition pb for a Vegas round! I definitely need to learn more about tuning and setting up barebows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts