Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to archery I have a SF Forged+ riser with tradtech 35lb. Limbs. I use an anchor point like most Olympic Recurve archers do under the chin. I've been looking at barebow archers and all seem to use a high anchor point. Does any other barebow archers use the under the chin anchor point?

Thanks,

Milford

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are a few barebow Archers at Tampa Archery that use an Olympic style anchor, mostly those that also shoot Olympic recurve, but most use a higher anchor. The advantage of a higher anchor is the arrow tip is closer to being on point with the target making it easier to aim.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
The under chin anchor gives you a very high arrow trajectory which strongly favors very long shots such as those shot by FITA shooters. An under the chin anchor will extend the range of folks using very light bows. It does not impact the FITA archers because they are setting a sight rather than pointing with the arrow. This is the same reason why barebow archers typically use three under hooks. Anything that raises the back end of the arrow makes the shorter shots easier. If your focus is 100 yard shots, then under the chin could be an advantage. If you want to shoot 20 and in, it is a real disadvantage.

I started shooting under the chin and still use it if I am shooting an Olympic style bow with a sight. I have been shifting my anchor higher over the years. I used to focus on 90 and 70 meters. Now that I am shooting shorter shots I have to change the way I shoot. I am now using middle finger in the corner of my mouth after using index for many years.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Watch some of the World Barebow field championships on Youtube. Everyone uses a fairly similar anchor, I'd recommend you do similar if performance is your goal.

-Grant

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I would second what's being said. I started as an Oly shooter. I was quickly taught an under chin anchor. It's ideal long distance like they are saying because it helps with trajectory. Oly shooters doing it at 20 work on highly repeatable form with a sight.

But I took up barebow last fall and it's different. Without a sight, in close for indoor distance/3d, you want the arrow up closer to the eye for aiming and a smaller gap. When I've tried my under chin up close my gap was huge and every up or down aiming adjustment means too much....it's too crude for barebow. Similarly, while I use split finger Oly style I go three under trad/BB. That also shrinks gap and moves the arrow up. Similarly, in trad/BB I go side cheek for anchor. Some others go up even higher towards the eye. What difference all this makes is more fine aiming distinctions and a gap closer to the aim point. The difference between aiming at the ground and aiming on the target face.

I do move to split finger or under chin further out for the reasons Oly shooters do. But in close you're talking about feet of gap and crude aiming changes when three under and side of face gets you close to target and stringwalking maybe point on. Would you rather aim gold or at the ground 4 feet below hoping you have the gap right?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Op, it all depends on how you aim. I'm one of those that use an Oly style under the chin anchor but with a three under grip and my point on is about 90 yards with a 40lb bow. I also use very light arrows on the order of 6 gpp so they're kinda quick off the string. Those long shots are few and far between regardless the venue, including fita. If you use the arrow tip to aim with then it's not going to work very well. That is, if you're not string walking. That's something else to try out.

If you gap off the riser using under the chin it can work quite well. It will give you multiple points of reference for elevation. As the arrow comes into view with longer distance it can be used as well. The one consistent difficulty is lateral alignment. With the arrow low in the picture you'll have to use string blur which is effective but takes patience and effort to get used to. It's generally thought of as the most consistent type of anchor which is why it's used by Oly shooters. I started like most trad shooters using side of face but could not get the string arm laterally parallel to the arrow. Switching to under the chin I could expand more while staying on top of the arrow and bring the string elbow back where it needs to be.

Might as well try anything and everything. The experimentation is half the fun. There isn't a rule that says you have to stick to one method only unless it's in a tournament.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As of now I only shoot 20yds. I'll try some of you guys suggestions.

Thanx,
Milford

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you gap off the riser using under the chin it can work quite well. It will give you multiple points of reference for elevation.

Might as well try anything and everything. The experimentation is half the fun.
I'll give this a try as I do anchor under chin.

Thanks Again

Milford

1 - 9 of 9 Posts