Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I moved to faster limbs, and as such, can now shoot 70 and 50 meters with my arrow tip rather than the rest wire as an aiming device. It occured to me, however, that the arrow tip is not a stationary refererence point and will shift if your draw is not repeatable. If you draw short or collapse, the arrow tip will stick further out resulting in a lower shot trajectory when you place the tip on the target. The shorter draw will also cause you to lose speed which will make the arrow fly shorter still.

Last year I used the rest wire at 70 and 50 (split finger and three under respectively). I am wondering whether the rest wire is a better aiming device since it is stationary like a sight ring. Also, it will make it easier to set the starting point for your draw since the rest wire will remain stationary on your aiming point throughout the draw cycle (as opposed to the arrow tip which will drop). The downside is that you have to learn to look around the arrow which is really not that difficult.

I took a few shots with last years bow but not enough to make a determination. I was also a bit tired from shooting well over 300 arrows over the weekend. What is your take on this?

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
Hank -

You can (and might have to) use different things for different distances.

As far as the arrow tip not being a constant, if your draw is changing you'll have bigger problems at the longer distances than what to aim with. At the longer distances, being off by 1/4" in draw length can mean the difference between hitting and missing THE TARGET.

So you might want to work on that first. Just remember, if you're using the tip of the arrow you should have a "visual draw check" built in.

Viper1 out.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,531 Posts
Indeed, if your arrow point is not stationary, you have a bigger problem than just your aiming.

Gotta get on top of that one first.

I use the point of the arrow, but it's only ever in my peripheral vision. Never have figured out how to look at the arrow point and the target at the same time... ;)

John.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Arrow tip

I use my arrow tip at all distances, I just may not be using the bullseye as the the point at which the point of aim. It can be 1/2 way down or at the bottom of the target face also or above. To work on my draw consistency I spend some time practicing with a clicker. I dont shoot off the clicker but use it as a practice draw check. Obviously it comes off for competitions.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am with you on the form issues. I have just started with a new coach and am rebuilding everything. My scores are plummeting while I am trying to figure out the changes. The backend of this process, however, should lead to significant improvements but I will have to be patient and stick to the plan. Since the end of last season, I have lost 53 pounds (from 6'4" 214 to 161) to improve a blood sugar problem, got glasses to improve the fact that I can't see, got a coach that can teach me how to shoot, and upgraded my limbs to get better sight points at a lower draw weight. I better turn this around quickly !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts