Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pissed because I bent 4 new x7's on Saturday using bareshaft tuning practices. The only thing I can figure is that because the arrows hit the target at a non-perpendicular angle, when the arrow stopped in the target, the remaining energy on the back of the shaft caused it to bend. Has anyone else ever had this happen? It sure would have been nice to see a warning on this.

·
M4L
2,152 Posts
Bareshaft

What type of butt are you using? You need a non-directional material (Excellcior Sp. It is wood shavings form Aspen tree's or a straw bail that is banned real tight) This could be the problem with the bending.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a 1 foot thick target that I made up using layers of 1/2" dow foam insulation (the blue stuff). I don't think it's directional, but maybe it's too firm?

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
That's why I don't bare shaft.
I would've warned you but I don't go into bare shaft threads since I don't do it.

I think to avoid bending your aluminum arrows you pretty much have to already have the bow tuned.
I don't think "too firm" is an issue because you need the arrows to hold where they hit and not where the off center energy sends them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts