Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
impatiently waiting
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am searching for information on how to bareshaft tune. If someone can give some simple directions, like how to move the rest when you get a certain impact that would be great. I have tried searching but i can't come up with what i am looking for. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I am not intamately familiar with the bow you are shooting. on my hoyts and bowtechs I prefer to set my rest/nock height square and straight down the center then tune the harness for bullet holes. if you cannot do this with your elite move your rest in the direction of the tear, check timing first

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
The down and dirty is a bareshaft has no fletching to correct it.
A broadhead steers some from the front and is more reliant on fletching to correct it if some part of the tune is not correct.
When their off the results are similar. (at least for me) If the broadheads hit right of your fieldpoinds, so will your bareshafts compared to fieldpoints. The object of bareshaft tuning is to get them as close to fletched fieldpoints as possible, before you move on to broadheads. Broadhead targets get cut up fast, and broadheads cost $$, so do as much with bareshaft VS fieldpoints as you can prior to using your broadheads.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I like to set my rig up even tiller and try to get a bout a 1/32' nock high tear with bare shaft. My theory behind this is if you stand a ball point pin on its tip perfectly vertical and allow it to fall it will almost never fall in the same direction. Tilt it even the slightest amount and allow it to fall it will fall in the same direction more consistantly. Nock high gives good arrow flight with good bow clearance....just something that works for me.

I use bare shaft tuning for lateral tuning and arrow tuning....especially spine testing. Some shaft models like heavy points, some like lighter ones. Once i get a clean lateral tear in paper i will shoot 3 bare and 3 fletched, if the group that's great...if not I'll adjust the rest, reshoot paper to make sure its a clean tear, then reshoot 3 and 3. If I cant get them to group without losing a good tear, I'll adjust point weight (right handed, bare shafts left point is too light, barre shafts to right point is too heavy) then start over. If I can get bare and fletched to group within 3 inches at 20yds i'm good to go.

·
The Foam Collector
2,323 Posts
Are you moving the rest for the fletched or unfletched arrow?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts