Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what i started and ended up with today. Between changing nocking point, rest center shot and poundage i was able to end up with the bottom picture but couldnt hold that grouping much longer. started to get fatigued.

my centershot is 1/8" away from perfect center (QAD dropaway using the markings)

07 Bowtech Ally, 28" draw - started with 70lbs, down to 65 ish now.

Easton FMJ 340 cut at 27.5 with 100 grain FPs

now TAP - says according to my specs (bow arrows etc etc) that these arrrows are perfectly spined, cant get any better at 70lbs with the length they are cut

I had to drop to 65 to get my last grouping. not impressed with the direction TAP sent me on.

First (Small).jpg

Second (Small) (2).jpg

Third (Small).jpg

Fourth (Small).jpg

Fifth (Small).jpg

let me know what you guys think. running out of options.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
had the same bow your'e shooting it liked 300 spine
have a d350 now had 350 spine vaps 24 3/4" + insert and nock they should have been stiff enough according to the charts, they weren't 300 fmj's at 26" tuned great couldn't get rid of a tail left tear with the 350"s
these charts and programs look at static spine the bow sees dynamic spine btw thats why alot of people can't tune fixed heads broadheads are longer than fp's todays cams are not in the same league as the stuff that was around when the charts were made up what was a harsh cam in the 80's is comparable to a mild cam today

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd try moving your rest to the left a touch and raise your nock point a touch. Like the other poster said, you may be to weak spined.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I got my bow bare shaft tuned out to 40 yesterday! The biggest thing i learned is that a micro adjust rest IS the bomb. the increments that you have to move after 20 yards are so friggen tiny I can't imagine being able to do it without a micro adjust. But boy when it was over my arrows fly VERY straight and broadheads stay with the fp's to 60 yards. You will notive the bare shaft start to fly straighter and straighter the closer you get to archery Zen! Don't give up!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have adjusted the rest to the left a bunch and it led me to the last picture.. The issue is. I have a few 300's for this bow which are much stiffer then the 340's but according to all the information I have been reading about bareshaft tune is if my bares are hitting LEFT of my fletched, its a too stiff arrow. I can imagine me needing to go to 400's for this bow.

something isnt making sense here.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, did a complete 180 today. reset my center shot to 0 (laser from knock to point) cranked it up to 70 (72 actual) changed my grip to a thumb pocket instead of a heal grip. also got my FOBs in today so i reset the rest so it has clearance

stripped off all my quickfletch NAPs and ran 3 FOB and 3 bares.

started from 3 yrds was hitting a cross hair marking so my sight and rest are point at the same spot with a POI to verify. walked back to 20. and moved the rest 1/16th and was hitting the same spot, went back to 30 and was "close enough" for a group at least

hit the bare shafts and were flying way left of the FOB arrows. so I first dropped my DW down to 64, (went down in 2lb increments with a bare shaft to trend the change) pretty cool to see the arrows walk back towards my FOB group

so all in all i have to shoot the lighter DW for these 340's and with my center shot 1/16th out of perfect center .

groups are much tighter..

still have to work on a knock rest hight as my bare shafts are hitting taller with knock end up - but taht shouldnt be a problem. im hoping

with the lighter DW i seem to be getting into the range of target panic now. when i was up in the 72 (and 74) lb range that added weight allowed me to hold more steadier - now its so light for me im wobbling all over the place. i think im going to get a heavier and longer stab .. all i have now is a 4" limbsaver

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
you may want to use a heavier head to soften up the 300 but watch because broadheads are longer than fp's and that will affect dynamic spine fail safe it to tune with broadheads

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
wer'e here to help eachother man like I said before had the same bow sweet shooter but needed 300 spine @ 78# 28"draw
when you turn the weight down and watch em come together its a sure sign you need more spine

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
also carbon express has an adjusted weight calculator you can print and fill out it takes several different things into consideration as I recall my ally wanted an arrow the charts put through a 90+ # bow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts