Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I mentioned to my wife that I would like a crossbow for Christmas. Not really anything more specific than that. So while I was vacuuming her car for her on Saturday while she was out shopping with friends I opened the trunk and there is a Barnett Gamecrusher in the trunk. So I tell her she is going to be mad at me but I accidentally found my Christmas present. She said the man she talked to at Dicks recommended it. So looking a little bit online it sounds like the reviews are pretty good. I also saw it was a Black Friday special for $249 Reg price of $599. Looking around it looks like nobody paid anywhere close to $599 for this crossbow. I am excited to try it out, this will be the first crossbow I have ever even fired. I have to wait until Christmas so the wife says. Looking for your thoughts on the crossbow and anything I will need for it to shoot it on Christmas morning. I want to make sure I am all set.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
There is a learning curve to xbows, READ the owners manual couple times and if there is a DVD look at it too. If you do that you may not have any problems. If you really want to be a crossbow hunter/shooter, you may want to get something better. Ya get what ya pay for and there is a reason some bows cost $1000 and more.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
It'll work as a starter bow. See if you like it and trade up down the line or keep it as a spare. 'sides you can't disappoint a thoughtful lady like that by taking it back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't sound like you guys think this is a very good bow...not what I was hoping to hear...I understand it isn't a $1000 Tenpoint. What will I not like about it? Are they poorly made? Its pretty fast at 330FPS, sounds like it is balanced well from the reviews...I like the trigger being less than 4lbs. I am sure the scope that comes with any combo package could be better. I could spend $1000+ dollars on a bow as well but my Bowtech Assassin has killed deer just fine. What are the reasons I may not like it? Cheaply made?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is some feedback I found doing a search on "Barnet Gamecrusher". I hope this helps you learn more about the bow. It explains why I found very little information about that bow. Personally, I'm not a fan of that website itself for many reasons, but this thread appears to be informational so I passed it along for you.

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/topic/33201-barnett-gamecrusher-crossbow/
Thank you for posting that. I found that link as well when I googled gamecrusher. That was where I got my info that people seemed pretty happy with it. I can't wait to shoot it. I have been bow hunting for a while but this season we got a two week window here in NY that we can use a crossbow during archery. I didn't want to spend a ton of $$ on a bow I could only use for two weeks which for me, means two hunting days....

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Thank you for posting that. I found that link as well when I googled gamecrusher. That was where I got my info that people seemed pretty happy with it. I can't wait to shoot it. I have been bow hunting for a while but this season we got a two week window here in NY that we can use a crossbow during archery. I didn't want to spend a ton of $$ on a bow I could only use for two weeks which for me, means two hunting days....
It sounds to me like you have the perfect setup to decide if crossbow hunting is for you. Frankly, if you get a good Barnett (and from the research I have done via Amazon feedback from owners of Barnett crossbows there are a number of models that are very good to excellent and only a few real clunker models) you have a good starter bow. I have a friend who has a Barnett (not sure which model) but he really likes his. He uses it for hunting and he really isn't into target shooting so it doesn't get shot a lot. I think he has had this for several seasons and not had any problems.

Good luck with your acquisition. Keep us posted on the results of your hunt and how the Barnett performs. I hope you find that both the hunt and the bow were good things.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The bow will work fine, the problem is with the barnett strings. They cost up to $90 and are done usually in 200 shots, even with waxing/lubing after every 5 shots.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
yes the strings are junk and some models have a habit of them coming off when you shoot them. An up grade of strings might put you in a position that you want to be. Good luck and keep us informed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts