Archery Talk Forum banner

Barnett Predator? Any Pictures or thoughts on this xbow

613 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Pinball
My granpa is looking into getting the Barnett Predator and needs to have one with the crank cocking device built into it. Does anyone have any pictures of this device as I can't seem to find any online.

Also what do you guys think about this xbow? We are trying to find everything out that we can out about it because our nearest Barnett dealer is about an hour away, and we don't wont to drive that far for nothing. I know I have heard good things and bad things about Barnett but whats up with the predator?

Mike
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
787 Posts
Interesting -

You're asking a question...then answering your question !?
No matter where you go...you'll get the same thing...some good, some bad.

While I have a Quad 400 AVI...it's basically very simillar stock, trigger wise. Just the riser is different (design wise).

The trigger is by no means, no Bowtech or Darton (lightly modified) trigger, nor a match for my Horton reCon, it works well enough. The pull is kinda long, but that can be fixed without even taking it apart. It's 4-1/2 to 5 pounds.
While Barnett doesn't seem to have the quality control as some of the others, they do seem to work well with repairs, and you should be ok with that choice.

Mike

· Lowered expectations
20,233 Posts
We've had a recall on them through the Bass Pro chain. They didn't specify what the issue was, but the last 2 that we sold came back - one had the cams bent (probable dry-fire, but the customer denied it) and on the other one, the trigger was defective. Plus we've had 2 of the cranks bent in the axle.

We've also had issues with other Barnett bows. A Revolution with a broken riser, plus several Wildcats with assorted issues, safeties, broken strings, etc.

You will hear from people who have had great success with Barnetts, and any specific bow you buy might turn out well. But overall, the reliability is questionable, and Barnett has the shortest warranty period (one year) in the industry.

I would avoid this bow.

· Registered
419 Posts
My predator has been shooting like a champ. Because of the Predator I have ruined arrows by multiple robin-hoods and was forced to buy a spider target because the bag target was allowing pass throughs.

I have other bows but when I want to punch big holes I use the Predator. My Stryker is faster but I HATE having to hand crank so it is a piece of expensive wall art.

I use the rope cocking aid myself so I don't have experience in the CCD's use. I have heard that the bracket that holds the CCD has been strengthened. If you look at the adverts all the Bass Pro Predators come with a CCD as a package deal to my knowledge no other distributors offer that deal. That may be the reason but I can't say for sure.

Perhaps you can ask the barnett rep?

· Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Went to the Bass Pro website and they do include the crank in that package and we can get everything shipped here by Sat. So that may be the route my grandpa takes as there is no one close for him to try one out before hand.

Any other replies would be great too.

Thanks again

· Registered
150 Posts
I don't have a Predator but do own a Revolution AVI. Not a bit of trouble with

mine. Shoots great. Many people have strong opinions about which xbows are

good and which are not. Mine is a 2007 model and will be getting a free upgrade

like the 2008s. I plan on keeping it. Good luck with whatever you buy. Xbows

are fun. Especially for older guys like me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.