Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at supplementing my DB Darkhorse with something else on some not so secure land that I utilize. Looking at the Barronett Big Cat 350. Anyone have one that can share some thoughts on it? It'll be used on private property but the blind will only be located a few hundred yards off a road in plain sight and I fear some skumbag will see it and come back after dark. I don't set up my Darkhorse in situations like this because if it gets stolen I can't replace it. I"m also not wanting something extremely expensive because I can't stomach thinking about $300 getting stolen if it happens. I was on the fence between the Barronett and Rhino but reviews I've read say Rhinos quality has gone to crap since they sold out a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I don't own a Big Cat but I do own a Barronette Big Mike Super Tough. This will be my third season with this blind and I can say that the quality is outstanding. Then only issue I've ever had with it is two broken poles that was completely my fault. I contacted Barronette by phone with the intention to buy replacements and was told that they would ship them that day free of charge. I didn't even have to pay for shipping and when they arrived, there were a few extra poles in the box. Outstanding customer service, quality blinds.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Ive looked at Barronette many times, I just dont care for their camo pattern... seems to dark and cheap ....

·
Archery Addict
5,657 Posts
I've got the Grounder 350 and love it. I do however wish that the windows zipped from the bottom up instead of the top down.I put come cloth on the upper part to keep some of the light out

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Bought one for turkey hunting I live the room it is huge. My buddy is 6'3" 205# I am a hair under 6'4" and 215#. Plenty of room.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
That shine on the fabric would be a concern to me...kinda like the fabric some of the Ameristep blinds are made out of, nylon ??....I just dont like that camo pattern....they may be good blinds but the fabric/shine and camo is a turn off for me ...

·
Archery Addict
5,657 Posts
Set the blind and camera and corn the same day. Been 1 week and deer don't seem to have an issue with fabric shine if the fabric has any. I had 1400 pictures the first week

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have also been looking at this blind. I am petrified of heights and never had a blind I can shoot comfortably in. I am between this and the big Mike. I'm only 5 10 but could use the extra height to stand and shoot.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
How well are the barronetts built? Will they withstand being out in the elements for several months?
I put mine out in September and bring it back in sometime in early March, usually. Been doing that for the past couple seasons with no problems. I live in N.E. Ohio so it gets the entire gambit of weather.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I put mine out in September and bring it back in sometime in early March, usually. Been doing that for the past couple seasons with no problems. I live in N.E. Ohio so it gets the entire gambit of weather.

any fading ?? my Ameristeps faded bad after a few seasons

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I used a big mike this turkey season and can't even explain how poorly made and cheap that thing is. Anytime th wind blew one stake loop would rip. The fabric is horrible and the design needs to be rethought. It was big and roomy but it almost got left behind because it wasn't worth the trouble of taking down. It will only be double bull from now on.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
any fading ?? my Ameristeps faded bad after a few seasons
Not that I can tell but I have nothing new to compare it to. I guess if it was set up right next to a new one, you may notice some fading but the deer won't, they're basically color blind.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I used a big mike this turkey season and can't even explain how poorly made and cheap that thing is. Anytime th wind blew one stake loop would rip. The fabric is horrible and the design needs to be rethought. It was big and roomy but it almost got left behind because it wasn't worth the trouble of taking down. It will only be double bull from now on.
Shoulda got the Big Mike Super Tough! Mine has been awesome for the past couple of seasons. I leave it out for about four months and have yet to have a rip or tare anywhere. It even holds up under a heavy snow load.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Luckily it was not mine. No way will I never buy any blind from them. They have a lot of improving to do on workmenship and design.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I think they are fairly well made blinds. I didnt take care of mine though and it got destroyed! We got a really heavy snow that depressed the roof section. I forgot to go back and fix it. Then I found it the following spring all mangled up 50 yards away in a fence line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts