Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally going to go with a longbow but couldnt find one I liked that fit in my budget at the moment. So decided to start my archery journey with a recurve. Below is a list of what I am looking at for a basic bare bow setup. Not sure if a plunger is required or not for this setup so any suggestions would be helpful.This bow is just for recreational shooting.

Cartel Fantom 25" Recurve Riser
Win & Win/SF Axiom Plus Recurve Limbs #30 Medium
Kaya 8125 String 68” AMO 16 str
Hoyt Super Pro Rest
Cartel Smart Tab
Beiter Arm Guard SOFT

Any arrow suggestions for this combination would be welcome as well. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
What's your draw length??

Just guessing the carbon express predator II in a 600 or 700 spine should work for you.

You don't have a button on you list - the shibuya DX is very good for the money.

Have fun and get some coaching if you can.

Matt

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I to have been looking into a ILF set up for my second bow, very similar to yours. I had posted a question concerning the Cartel Fantom riser as well. There are numerous posts on people that like them. However Viper did respond that the grip is not for everyone and that if you can try one first you should do so. I have been looking for a Hoyt Horizon to come up in the classifieds here and other sites. Not many pop up but a few do from time to time and if you are not picky on the color. My problem is I am picky on the color and I am in no big hurry anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's your draw length??

Just guessing the carbon express predator II in a 600 or 700 spine should work for you.

You don't have a button on you list - the shibuya DX is very good for the money.

Have fun and get some coaching if you can.

Matt
My draw length is right around 28".
I have taken a beginners archery course. I also have started reading Shooting the Stickbow which seems to reinforce most of what I was taught in the course.
Can you shoot an aluminium riser without a button? like you would a wood riser?

·
Registered
20,778 Posts
Gateway -

Aluminum arrows were being used before plungers became commonplace.

One reason plungers are almost necessary these days, is because a lot of metal risered bows are cut so far past center, you either need a plunger to get the arrow positioned correctly or have to build out the side/strike plate a significant amount. while the latter is not difficult, with a plunger you have a readily available means of adjusting the degree of centershot and the "cushion" tension. Both valuable tuning modalities.

For my new ILF shooters (Excel or Horizon) we start with the supplied rest, until a plunger is obtained. Happily it comes with a thick piece of double stick tape and the rest itself has an "ear" to push the arrow a little farther away from the bow. When we install a plunger, the ear is cut off and the centershot adjusted with plunger depth.

Viper1 out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts