Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like to pay full price for anything so I look for stuff off season. I looked up cold weather camo on Cabelas tonight and none of the usual stuff is there. I was hoping to find some 50% off stuff but it wasn't there. Not even at full price. No berber, no wooltimate, none of the good stuff available. There are some half off base layers but I'm good on that. Is bass pro doing away with Cabelas stuff? I hope not because Cabelas has great stuff if you can get it on sale. I like my Cabelas rain suede over my first lite rain jacket so I hope they don't do away with the apparel.

·
Registered
24,049 Posts
Cabela's had their wooltimate and berber on sale last summer and fall, so I would guess that it is part of the "plan" to merge the lineups of BP into Cabelas. On a recent visit to the most local Cabela's store, the hunting clothes section was a shadow of the width they were offering a couple years ago. They are carrying some Sitka and "flavor of the month" patterns and fabrics rather than proprietary fabrics and patterns that many of us liked. This is precisely why a number of folks were lamenting the idea of a merger when it first broke into the outdoor news sector.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Cabela's had their wooltimate and berber on sale last summer and fall, so I would guess that it is part of the "plan" to merge the lineups of BP into Cabelas. On a recent visit to the most local Cabela's store, the hunting clothes section was a shadow of the width they were offering a couple years ago. They are carrying some Sitka and "flavor of the month" patterns and fabrics rather than proprietary fabrics and patterns that many of us liked. This is precisely why a number of folks were lamenting the idea of a merger when it first broke into the outdoor news sector.
I was afraid of this. Bass Pro is a run of the mill retailer in my opinion. I could see how they could ruin Cabelas.

·
Huntoholic
1,716 Posts
I always liked Cabelas clothing over Bass Pro, the Cabelas gear was just better.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I was afraid of this. Bass Pro is a run of the mill retailer in my opinion. I could see how they could ruin Cabelas.
Yep. Haven't been a fan of Bass Pro since the late 80's/early 90's when items in catalog stated if they were Made In USA, Cabelas brand is 2 1/2 times the quality of BP IMO. I cringed when I read of the merger here on AT, my family has always preferred Cabelas. Was so stoked when BP built a store in Peoria, Illinois, little did I know it would be dominated by nic nacks for your "cabin" and woman's clothes and a bunch of other crap i don't need or want. Saw the writing on the wall last winter when they had all those ridiculous sales on Cabelas brand items @ #anotheronebitesthedust

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
We just got one of the "mini" Cabela's in my area in spring of 2015...
I kind of liked it. Bought a gun or two from the Gun Library and some cast iron cookware.
Since the merger, prices have gone up and selection has gone down.
I figured that would happen...

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,520 Posts
Bass Pro has always been terrible for hunting compared to Cabelas and overpriced. The Redhead brand clothing it total junk. Cabelas clothing is WAY better. The wooltimate hat/beanie has been the warmest hat i’ve ever used and I own a couple but share with my son. Went to buy another and they don’t even carry it any more. Looks like the wooltimate has been phased out. What a shame! This merger is not a good thing. They should have left Cabelas as it and just got the synergies through overhead reductions and some consolidation of purchasing. Instead they are trying to “Bass Pro-ize” Cabelas which will simply ruin the brand.

·
Registered
20,596 Posts
Historically, the difference between Bass Pro and Cabela's was that Bass Pro would find the cheapest item that they could sell at "x" price point and Cabela's would find the highest quality item that they could sell at the same "x" price point. That's why it's absolutely true that Cabela's clothing was better than basically anything Bass Pro put out. Now that Cabela's is Bass Pro, expect quality to go south and prices to remain the same or potentially go up.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am only missing one piece of Wootimate gear to have everything I need (pants or bibs). I was hoping to pick it up on sale but I'm afraid I may have waited too long.

The Wooltimate line is AMAZING!

Also, for what it's worth, we have a Cablea's and BP within about 5 miles from us. BP is still as busy as Cabela's but I think most of their sales are in fishing vs. hunting gear.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
This is what makes America great. Nothing wrong with a guy trying to make some money. Johnny Morris started small and grew bps into what it is today. If you don’t like it don’t shop there. Or you should have bought cabelas when it was for sale. Sure I’ll miss cabelas quality. No I don’t think bps will leave it as is. They’ll prob cut costs sacrificing quality and increase prices to drive up profit margins. I’d prob do the same given the opportunity.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Cabela's clothing had been going down hill for the last several years. They had done away with the legacy fleece and ruined their best clothing item in the Micro Tex. While Cabelas did have the edge in camo clothing BPS blew them away with the fishing equipment. Other than camo clothing BPS is superior in every way. It is not just about camo.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
An employee in the archery section at Bass Pro told me that after the merger was complete, the Cabela's hunting line would remain and the Bass Pro fishing line. He said Bass Pro recognized that Cabela's was catered to hunting whereas Bass Pro was founded for fisherman. No idea if the guy knew what he was talking about, but he sounded convincing. Hope he's right.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Historically, the difference between Bass Pro and Cabela's was that Bass Pro would find the cheapest item that they could sell at "x" price point and Cabela's would find the highest quality item that they could sell at the same "x" price point. That's why it's absolutely true that Cabela's clothing was better than basically anything Bass Pro put out. Now that Cabela's is Bass Pro, expect quality to go south and prices to remain the same or potentially go up.
I always knew this merger would be horrid. Made zero sense for the consumer. Makes great sense for Wallstreet. But thats life, cant cry over spilled milk.

My guess is Cabelas will release their newer versions of all the older strong selling lines, just with cheaper materials for higher profits. Same price point, less quality, which truly sucks.

Glad I stocked up on gear during the last clearance. Only piece Im missing is the Stand Hunter fleece bottoms. Ive been checking Cabelas everyday since January. OOS everyday. I hope they bring it back.

And BTW, as for the regular items. I have seen ZERO sales. ZERO coupons........ Bass Pro will milk this cow to death.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts