Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in great need of the top section for an API Bowhunter treestand. Nothing extra, just the bare metal section. I contacted Bass Pro and API. Was told by BOTH that API stands were manufactured overseas and there was NO WAY I could buy just one section. Bass Pro suggested I contact a local machine shop and have one fabricated. API suggested I try e-bay. API also told me they receive calls like mine EVERYDAY for replacement parts and have to turn down the customer. Who does Bass Pro and API think keeps them going? It's the North American outdoorsman and women that spend their money there. Oh yeah', just for the heck of it I called Summit and was told that there was NO PROBLEM buying replacement parts for any current stand and even some older ones. I've been a loyal user of API stands for years and own several and I think it really stinks that you can't get a replacement part for one. Just wanted to blow off some steam and share my thoughts about Bass Pro and API with everyone.

·
Registered
983 Posts
you really cant blame bass pro b/c its not their responsibility to carry extra parts for suppliers ive heard from many people that api customer service is not what it used to be neither is the quality of their stands thats why i now use summit which is american made.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
I hate you are in this dilemma but just keep that in mind when you go buy a new stand. API must not need the business.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bass Pro/API

I was told by API that Bass Pro actually owns API, so I guess it is their responsibality. As for the other comment, I'm sure NOT getting my pennies will alter their business practices at all. Just really disappointed that I can't buy a replacement part from one on the nation's largest name treestands. You think if they were still made in America it would make a difference on getting replacement parts? Just thinking outloud.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Oh No!!!!!

I wish I'd seen this friday, just went to the Orlando store's fall sale, and picked up 2 API ladder stands :mg: and a Summit razor X5 :thumbs_up I'll cross my fingers and hope I never need any parts :wink:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bass Pro/API

thanks for the comments so far...and please don't loose or damage any parts of your API's or you'll be in the same boat as me

·
32,711 Posts
I went to the Bass Pro shop in Katy, Tx Sunday and tried to buy some nocks for my GT Ultralights and they didn't have an iota what I wanted. They need to train those folks if they want return customers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Boy, thats to bad about API. I've owned several over the years, both hang-on and climbing and WILL be very dissiapointed if and when I need a part or two. I love my Grandslam supreme climber and will miss it dearly when it wears out. Not a big fan of the droopy cable thing with the Summits .

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I bought my API several years back before it was sold out. I had a small problem with it and customer service couldn't have been better. I had replacement parts in the mail in just a few days. I hope I don't need anything from them any time soon. If I do and can't get service, i guess it will be time for a summit.

·
Registered
611 Posts
czeger said:
you really cant blame bass pro b/c its not their responsibility to carry extra parts for suppliers ive heard from many people that api customer service is not what it used to be neither is the quality of their stands thats why i now use summit which is american made.
BassPro owns API, so it's not a supplier problem. It's a let's gettem made overseas and put more money in our pocket because we don't give a rip about our customers problem! It's the almighty dollar! Anything that comes from overseas can be difficult to get because generally speaking once it's gone for the season there is no way of getting a little more here! Summit can just go make you a piece! Try to buy USA, but it get tuffer every day. I own a store and I'm happy to say I unloaded a semi truck load of Summit this morning, it's the main stand we carry, not the cheapest but there are reasons why!

Jim

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree...

with you wildboar...it's more about the dollar than customer satisfaction

·
Registered
921 Posts
If its broke just take it back They will take back allmost anythig. I brought back a pack of rocket broadheads once when one of them broke in a deers shoulder. If you lost a part tell them a deer ate it and they should'nt put parts on a tree stand that deer like to eat

·
Registered
566 Posts
API Products

sswv, I recently bought parts for my API bow hunter. I originally called API, which is no longer API. Some fly by night company started using the API logo and will not ship parts or return calls. They will charge your C/C if you use one. However, If you call Great Day Inc. ( the original owner of API) ask for Tammy in sales, she will handle your order and send you what you need.

Contact info:
Great Day Inc.
PO. Box 472
Tallulah, LA. 71284
(866) 649-1918 ext 128
Fax ( 318) 574-4428
[email protected]

I got great service and my parts in 1 week.

·
Registered
777 Posts
BagginBigguns said:
Try to simply find a replacement strap for one of those stands. I tried and failed. :eek:
THIS has had me worried about my two Baby Grands; I noticed that the new models use a different system for tightening to the tree. I'd hate to have to junk my existing stands in a year or two just because I can't get replacement straps. I guess I could make new straps out of something like seatbelt material, but the stitching on the ends would be absolutely critical.

I'd like to know the background on API being bought out. My guess would be it went something like this: Idiot buys an API treestand. Idiot predictably does something idiotic and falls out of tree. Idiot finds fairly sharp lawyer (or lawyer finds him) and lawyer takes big bite out of API, who was already feeling the pinch from foreign competition. Bass Pro comes along and buys what's left (essentialy the API name and customer base), then does the pennywise thing and moves production across the pond (the big pond).

So, does anybody know the real story?

·
Registered
777 Posts
THANK YOU!!! :beer: :slice: :beer:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks

thanks for the info *******...I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out

1 - 20 of 44 Posts