Archery Talk Forum banner

How knowlegable is you mass-merchandizers archery dept. bad= 1-great=10

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called their store today, in Clarksville Indiana, & asked them a question.

I asked if they had a Toxonics MK-9 55 Sights with the optional extension bar.

Their archery department said they had it right there in their hands as we spoke.
I thought great I finally get my new sights.

Well I and my wife drove the 35 miles to your store.
Waited for 1/2 an hour before someone even acted like they had the time to speak with us.
I asked them about the sights that I had called about since I had not see them with any of the sights that were out.

The answer after another 15 minutes was I'm sorry for the inconvenience but we don't sell that sight.

Inconvenience :angry:

I called to check so I wouldn't waste the gas, and that's it!
Bad information, poor service, & a waste of $15 in gas, & the time it took to drive down there & wait on Their staff.

They need to be organized a bit better, and be better informed about the products they are selling.

I was thinking of buying a new bow out there later this month, but after this?
Would you buy an expensive bow from a guy that doesn't know the difference between the sights he's trying to sell, let alone have him work on the bow you have?

:thumbs_do

·
Banned
554 Posts
Sorry....

More than likely just telling you that just to get you into the store. I personnaly would never buy a bow at a large retailer like this, i was standing in gander one time and a guy dry fired a bow, put it back on the shelf and walked away. Clerk did not even attempt to stop the guy until i told him "what that noise was". Stay with your local pro shop, they usually can get you what you want, and pay more attention to you and the equipment.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Bass Pro stinks!!!!! Unless you know what you want, and I'll stop at that ,because I'd be here al night complaining about them:thumbs_do :mad:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Stay away from Bass Pro Shops

As you may or may not know from my past posts, they measured my draw length 3" too long. I ordered a Barnsdale Bow and there is no adjustment to them. Luckily, Dave Barnsdale made it right and built me a new bow, even though it wasn't his fault.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
to say they stink is a under statement

i had a game cam swiped of my porch....and they told me it wasnt there problem...i said really since i bought it from you it is...after about a week of crap i finally had another one sent out and many rude managers to deal with...one guy even cursed at me and was the night time store manager...so to say they stink is giving them credit:mad: :mad: :mad: :pukey:

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
bass pro is great if your a fisherman!!...but to buy anything from them is a mistake! i watched a guy cut somebodys arrows one day, it was like this. he turnered the saw on grabbed the arrow, and just shoved it through the blade! yes the backstop was back so far that the new blade could have cut half way into his hand.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
stackin pins said:
i had a game cam swiped of my porch....and they told me it wasnt there problem...i said really since i bought it from you it is...after about a week of crap i finally had another one sent out and many rude managers to deal with...one guy even cursed at me and was the night time store manager...so to say they stink is giving them credit:mad: :mad: :mad: :pukey:
Please forgive me for my ignorance here, and I am not in any way trying to bash you. But please explain to me how Bass Pro is responsible for your game cam that was stolen from your porch? I may just misunderstand here, but I don't get it. My dad and grandfather owned a sporting goods store many years ago, and I can tell you for a fact that if somebody came in after buying something and told them they needed a new one because it was just stolen off their porch they would have ran em out of there. Like I said I'm not trying to bash at all, just want to understand your thoughts here.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
stackin pins said:
WTH? You had a trail cam stolen off your porch and demanded to have it replaced by the store you bought it from? Tell me I read this wrong.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Man, whats wrong with that picture????

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Ok, I don't feel so bad now. I thought I was the only one that didn't get how it was Bass Pro's fault when I posted a minute ago.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i had a game cam swiped of my porch....and they told me it wasnt there problem...i said really since i bought it from you it is...after about a week of crap i finally had another one sent out and many rude managers to deal with...one guy even cursed at me and was the night time store manager...so to say they stink is giving them credit

i would have run you out of my shop if you had it stolen off your porch and wanted ME to replace it!! heck of a place to keep it isnt it? sorry but it wasnt their fault.

·
Lowered expectations
16,534 Posts
These kinds of threads really tick me off. Yeah, go ahead, don't shop at a big box store.... Leave that for the other 50,000 people that walk through on a weekend in hunting season.

I work in the archery department at a BP, and with over 30 years of archery experience, including nearly 20 running my own pro shop, I'm pretty sure I know more about archery equipment than 99.9% of the customers who walk in.

OK so you had one or two bad experiences. Maybe the regular archery guys were on break or lunch or a day off and a temp from another department, or a trainee was on hand. Maybe there just isn't someone living in the area with the required experience who wants to work every weekend for crappy wages (don't ask why I'm there - that's another issue... :rolleyes: )

BP is open 7 days a week, 363 days a year and it's kind of hard to find a fully trained staff that's there all the time to meet the needs of every customer who doesn't have the time or energy or inclination to do a bit or research on their own so they can make some sort of informed decision about what they want.

You go into a store like that to get a huge selection at low prices (of hunting stuff - we don't deal with target/3D so don't expect it) and the customer demographic is typically someone who wants to try bowhunting for the first time, needs a basic setup that will get them shooting, and some simple instruction with a suggestion on how to go about finding someplace to practice. We are not there to measure your drawlength so you can order a custom Barnsdale - if you have any business buying a bow like that you should already have a pretty good idea of what your DL should be. We are there to fit you with a Nova or a Jaguar that's close to what your draw length will be once you actually learn to shoot. If you want a top-end bow, we have a great selection, and can set it up for you, but why are you considering a MachX or Illusion if you don't even know how to tie a D-loop for yourself?

We are not there to give lessons any more than the camping department is there to teach you how to barbeque or the fishing department is there to teach you to flycast.

We have our Hunting Classic going on right now. I worked a 10 hour shift today, no breaks (except for lunch), with 3 other guys. Nonstop customers. I can't remember how many bows I set up and sold - probably at least 6 compounds and 3 crossbows. Maybe 15 dozen arrows cut. Every single customer I dealt with seemed very happy with their purchase (except one guy who wanted some arrows cut to 25", confirmed it when I asked, and then returned them because he wanted 28" and seemed pissed because I didn't know he needed 28".)

I'm back in early tomorrow and working through Labor Day so another 20 or 30bowhunters have a successful season with their new Bass Pro bows.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
stackin pins said:
Hold the phones here...what?:confused: There has to be a typo or something in this post...I can't figure it out for the life of me.

The way I am reading this is something was purchased at Bass Pro and you left the store with the item. You put it on your front porch and it was stolen. You went back to Bass Pro and demanded a new one?

·
Lowered expectations
16,534 Posts
hey hansel

Just noticed...if "Bass Pro stinks" why do you have "Redhead" arrows in your signature??? :rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
We don't have one within driving distance. So I don't know:)

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Unless you know what you want exactly, and how to put it all together, you are losing a lot of money on the package store "bargains". Actually, you save money by using the pro shop because of all the benefits that usually come as freebes when you buy a bow from the shop, and almost always it is put together right as well as having the right dimensions for you.

Pro shops make a lot of money fixing the package store setups that have to be brought in for proper setup/repair. I highly recommend you get your bargains at a real pro shop if you want to save money as well as buy a quality outfit - something not often found in the big bargain stores.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i can only speak for the bass pro around me but they definately lack in the archery knowleldge but there not a pro shop and the pro shops close to me have better gear and people who know what they'er doin and the people who patronize poth blaces reflect the people who work there

bass pro is more for beginners or people on a mission

·
Registered
459 Posts
Fury. Did you try Chick's Archery it's just down the road from Bass Pro Shops maybe 5 mile give or take a couple mile. Here's their info. It's a local owned shop and will proably give you alot better service. I know the local shop where I live has tons better sevice than the big chain stores.

Chick's Archery Headquarters, Clarksville, 812- 945- 0953

·
Registered
524 Posts
The BP shop in Dallas has a nice enough staff and a pretty good selection. It's n doubt they work hard, but I am very picky about who I trust with my bow. I will stick with my pro-shop.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Reacher said:
The BP shop in Dallas has a nice enough staff and a pretty good selection. It's n doubt they work hard, but I am very picky about who I trust with my bow. I will stick with my pro-shop.
preach it because there only 3 people becides my self i trust my bow with

1 - 20 of 48 Posts