Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who run alkaline batteries in their trail cameras do they last throughout the winter or do they die out too soon?

·
Registered
18,554 Posts
They do die faster if getting the same amount of pics.

But for my cams I get like 80% less,pics in winter so they last as long as summer so I can't really give a time frame of the difference.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,544 Posts
depends on the winter, southern Texas or Northern Ontario? which wayis it facing, with sun htting it or behind a big tree trunk or down in a creek?

·
RuffLight and Bsquare
16,550 Posts
As temps drop internal resistance in the battery goes up. You can loose about 25%-30% depending on how cold.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
I saw this when Commercial Cams were not out there yet I was running a few Homebrews and Alkalines would not last maybe 3 or 4 days once the temps dropped below 32 degrees and Lithiums were just coming out and 4 were 10.00 a pack but once I started using Lithiums I never looked Back I tried rechargeables and they did not last much better and then you have to get them "peaked" and Use them right then which was never possible. Since then I have switched to what is now better Cams and ability to do Video and that is all I do with my Game Cameras. But the last 2 years I started using the Stealth and Browning Solar Power Packs and that has helped with less out of pocket costs for batteries. I was finding 18 E Lithiums for $22.00 what helps over the 4 and 8 packs for much more $! But Yes Alkalines do not like Cold Temps from what I have seen did not matter the Brand either... And I live in Michigan when temps get well below 30 for long periods of time. And Most of my Cams are Out 24/7 set to Video just shorten the length from 1 minute to 30 seconds over the Winter Months.
LFM

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Winters here in Florida not too bad on trail cam alkaline batteries, the guy in Wisconsin might have another experience.

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
7,890 Posts
Aren’t lithium’s actually less costly, when you consider they’re not impacted by cold and they take many more pics before they expire.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
My newest camera has been out 3 months in upstate Pa (currently-2) Lithium batteries at 80%. Not bad IMO.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm currently running about 25 cameras in PA..
The cameras doing the hard work over the food go through a lot of batteries but I'm ok with it. When antlers drop I'll pull the cams.

I agree that the lithium last longer in cold Temps but at nearly 2$ a battery the choice is yours.

If your running cheap cams.. Walmart specials that are 30-50$ expect to use more batteries.
Seems to me better cameras get better battery life.
I'm impressed with my brownings so far. The newer models take 6 aa's and hold up great.

I also have a new tactacam xb up over a cornfield. Averaging about 150 pics a day. Seems to hold its own with lithium but it takes 12...

·
Pay It Forward
26,081 Posts
Lithiums will outperform alkalines in every trail cam application at all times of the year, but as others have said, they’re not cheap. You have to figure out what’s best for you. Me personally, lithiums in my cams I can’t/don’t visit regularly, alkalines in the others.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Aren’t lithium’s actually less costly, when you consider they’re not impacted by cold and they take many more pics before they expire.
Not even close. I buy Dollar General brand alkalines for CHEAP, and they last every bit as long as Duracell or Energizer. I'm running a couple dozen cams on 5 properties so batteries can get expensive. There's no way I could run lithium over alkaline and reasonably come out ahead. I've tried the Energizer lithiums and have had mixed results. Sometimes they're great and do outlast alkaline, especially in cold weather. But I've had a few times they were basically dead brand new.They powered up the cam & showed full life but next time I check cam I have dead batteries & no pics. That's never happened with alkaline, only the lithium. Alkaline may not last as long but by golly you know what you got and can depend on it. Knowing they'll fail in cool weather and knowing they'll lose efficiency as the camera works is better than not knowing if they'll even work at all.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Lithiums don't show correctly on the battery meter. They always show full.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts