Archery Talk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Button Buck Down!! Lol, I probably should have passed on this deer but its early and its nice to get one under your belt!! I got off early from work today and was on the way into an area I had looked at on aerial's but had never been to. TONS of sign on the way in, lot of acorns, old rubs etc so am getting into a zone that looks really good and this big ol' doe jumps out in front of me and stops at 30 yds. I bend down, take the stand off my back, get an arrow nocked and pull my bow back....stand back up shes still there, release the arrow and she completely swaped ends before the arrow got there...clean miss. I thought darn, so I walk up to where my arrow should be and there is another deer standing there at 30 yds. Bend down, nock an arrow, stand up...still there, smoked him!! I watch him run off and see him fall, or thought i did. The area is hardwoods bordering an old grown up field, so I had a little trouble locating him and never did find where the deer was standing, or either one of my arrows....going back to try and find them though. In the process of finding the deer saw multiple rubs on trees the size of my leg!! :eek: I will be back at this spot soon!! While field dressing this deer another big doe came by me at 20 yds!! '94

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ydd!!

Yard Dog Down!! LOL! Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt! Sometimes you just gotta get on the board with the first one you can to get the year started right!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
MMmmmmm....

Tender backstraps......good eating right there.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hunt pretty much exclusivly on public ground so I take what I can!! Oh yeah and 1st blood for my Rytera BulletX!! '94

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Shot a button buck last year with my muzzloader. I felt bad about it being a button that is until I had a loin sandwich when we got him skinned. Man o man 9 more days. I can't take it anymore!!!!!!

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I've eaten bucks, does, button bucks and everything in between. As far as I know my crock pot can't tell the difference when I add the BBQ sauce and make some pulled venison :D

Congrats on the deer bud.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hey, nothing wrong with that. I always try to take a deer early in the season to get the jitters out. Nice shooting. The more I look at those Rytera's the more I like em, especially the bullet X.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
HotShot88 said:
The more I look at those Rytera's the more I like em, especially the bullet X.

They are definitely a thing of beauty. Local shop I go to here carries Martin & Rytera, which I never knew prior to a couple of weeks ago. Went in and had to kill some time while he assisted another customer and I got to looking at the bows. I didn't shoot the Bullet-X, but I did play with it. All I know is it was set up with the Vipro cam on it and that baby was smooth.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Slap her between a couple slices of bread and she'll make one heck of a sandwich.:)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Congrats Easton! Tender backstraps you can cut with a fork...been there done that :wink:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Congratulations...Sounds like you made a great shot...

You know I really like taking does with my bow, but absolutely hate shooting a button buck with anything...Sure wish their was a way to be 100% positive before firing...

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
did you need a bag of corn to keep it from blowing out of your truck?

hee hee...:wink:

they taste good and congrats on the deer...

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
deerhunter3241 said:
Congratulations...Sounds like you made a great shot...

You know I really like taking does with my bow, but absolutely hate shooting a button buck with anything...Sure wish their was a way to be 100% positive before firing...
I agree 100% on the button bucks, had I known I would not have shot him. Usually in the treestand I will get a chance to look them over with the binocs but this happened pretty quick on the ground!! '94

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
EASTON94 said:
I agree 100% on the button bucks, had I known I would not have shot him. Usually in the treestand I will get a chance to look them over with the binocs but this happened pretty quick on the ground!! '94

Why shoot if you don't know what it is??? Sends bad message to young hunters.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FultonCtyHunter said:
Why shoot if you don't know what it is??? Sends bad message to young hunters.
Disagree 110%, I knew this was a legal deer, and had no visible antlers on its head, on that I was 100% sure. I said I did not know it was a button buck until I got to it because it had tiny little nubs, I did not say that I didnt know if it was a deer or not....THAT would be a bad message to young hunters. Matter of fact, look at my photo above....can you tell that is a button buck??? That photo is from about 10 feet!! '94

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Congrats, that lil' dude would have been hard to hit! :wink:

It is unfortunate that you removed a button buck but it's points for your AT Team. I wonder where mama was when he stepped out, was he alone? It'll be good eatin' though so congrats on the quick kill.

·
Ad Meliora
17,203 Posts
EASTON94 said:
I hunt pretty much exclusivly on public ground so I take what I can!!
That pretty much sums up the mindset of PA hunters and why we have the kind of deer herd we do.

Too much "take what I can get" and not nearly enough "do what is best for the deer herd".

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.