Archery Talk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
How is serving seperation compare on Fury sets?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
From an outsider to the manufacturing of bowstrings i get to look from a completely level playing field. One thing that i see and appreciate
is that there is only a couple, one in particular, bowstring makers that have something positive to say about both companies newest materials. Others are going out of their way to try and make one companies newest product look bad and its just not working.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
From an outsider to the manufacturing of bowstrings i get to look from a completely level playing field. One thing that i see and appreciate
is that there is only a couple, one in particular, bowstring makers that have something positive to say about both companies newest materials. Others are going out of their way to try and make one companies newest product look bad and its just not working.
I make bowstrings with both materials but it's a hobby not what I make a living doing.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,813 Posts
What material is Sk78? I think thats actually what Rhino is.
I don't know what Rhino is? SK78 is a DSM Dyneema material. It's very tough stuff. BCY used to call it Dynaflight 10 but changed the name to Force 10 and markets it (or did?) as a crossbow string material. I did some testing of SK78 a while abck and found it to be a very stable material, especially for a non-blend. I, quite frankly couldn't get it to move but it doesn't hold up as well cosmetically as SK90. I have some on my Dominator Max and my Supra that have been on for over a year. They don't look pretty anymore but they are still performing well. I've since switched my preference to X because it holds up better cosmetically. 8190 is an excellent material as well but in extreme conditions will move some on high poundage, high performance bows with long draws to contend with. My conclusion is that the less "fuzz" a material produces, the more it will tend to move. I can't back this up scientifically but this has become obvious to me over years of building with various materials. I believe this is due to the elasticity characteristics of the various materials. Those that have more ability to move tend to hold up better from a cosmetic perspective than those that have more creep resistance. Those that don't creep will tend to break down (read fuzz) over time but do not stretch/creep. Just an educated opinion. Vectran is the finest example of this as it does not move, but does break down over time. 100% Vectran will break in short order when subjected to sharp bending over and over.

I do have a question for you: You've stated several times that Fury "is" Dyneema SK90, and now claim Rhino may be SK78 yet your boss says they can't use the Dyneema name because they use "several different" suppliers. What am I to assume from this? Are the Brownell materials a hit or miss on what you get with each batch based on which supplier they are using at the time?

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,813 Posts
Yes, and I'm sure BCY really appreciates the, "Great product you have there! Congratulations on your second place trophy!" that seems to be a constant and continuing mantra around here. These continual marketing strategies that claim "better than" for every product introduced are only coming from one side of the isle for the most part. I have "never" seen any BCY product introduced with an attack on it's competitor. On the other hand BCY's competition's latest products are always positioned in this "better than" manner by folks directly connected to that company. So, I as one that has been very happy with BCY, its products and their support for many years may have to come in and say "I don't think so!" from time to time. There is a difference.

Example:
Having switched from bcy to fury by brownell no reason to ever deal with string stretch,peep rotation,fuzzing the fury just don't do this as far as colors fading IMO only thing fading is BCy

·
Registered
21,403 Posts
Yes, and I'm sure BCY really appreciates the, "Great product you have there! Congratulations on your second place trophy!" that seems to be a constant and continuing mantra around here. These continual marketing strategies that claim "better than" for every product introduced are only coming from one side of the isle for the most part. I have "never" seen any BCY product introduced with an attack on it's competitor. On the other hand BCY's competition's latest products are always positioned in this "better than" manner by folks directly connected to that company. So, I as one that has been very happy with BCY, its products and their support for many years may have to come in and say "I don't think so!" from time to time. There is a difference.

Example:
I don't think I've ever seen Brownell come out with an advertisement that said anything close to "Our stuff is better, BCY is worse". They only advertise the qualities of their products and don't say anything about the competition. You may think that they are "advertising" through these threads and directly comparing their materials to the other but that's only because the people starting the threads are directly asking for a comparison. This thread is even titled "bcy x and fury user findings". The OP was looking for a comparison of the materials so of course people with direct knowledge are going to give them their opinions and findings.

I don't understand why you've taken it upon yourself to be the over the top BCY cheerleader. The only thing I can think is that you're afraid that the overwhelmingly positive press that Fury is getting is going to cut into your profits as a string maker that does not use Fury to build with. A smart business man would get some Fury and test it out so they don't miss the boat but instead you've gone the other way and are trying to deter people from using Fury. In the process you've made yourself look bad and you've probably driven away more potential customers than you ever could have hoped to steer away from Fury.

That's just my take on it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I build with both Fury and X daily and have not had any issues with creep out of either material. I wouldn't offer a material to my customers that I don't have 100% confidence in. If a customer asks my opinion on which material is better I usually suggest Fury because I know it doesn't budge if built properly, it's faster and it doesn't fuzz. It does seem to stay cleaner because it makes a really tight bundle and it's easier to clean should it get dirty. Fury does take longer to stretch, although I do usually stretch my Fury strings overnight I'm not 100% sold on the idea that a 70lb. bow produces enough tension to make the strings budge if stretched for 1.5 hrs. My first test set was stretched for exactly 1.5 hrs and the customer said nothing has budged. My customer measured his strings by pulling tension on them with a machinists lathe and he measured the lengths with a large set of calipers at his shop. He installed the strings, shot 100 arrows and removed the strings to check measurements. After 100 shots he measured an increase between .005"-.008". He installed the strings on his bow and shot 400-500 arrows before measuring again. He claims the measurements have not changed since the first 100 shots. He has thousands of shots on the strings and says everything is measuring the same as it did after his first 100 arrows. So, they moved about the thickness of a human hair, a piece of paper or half that of a business card and haven't budged since. I'm not saying the same results can't be had with Bcy X but in my opinion Fury has the edge right now. You can also get an actual White material in Fury.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,403 Posts
I build with both Fury and X daily and have not had any issues with creep out of either material. I wouldn't offer a material to my customers that I don't have 100% confidence in. If a customer asks my opinion on which material is better I usually suggest Fury because I know it doesn't budge if built properly, it's faster and it doesn't fuzz. It does seem to stay cleaner because it makes a really tight bundle and it's easier to clean should it get dirty. Fury does take longer to stretch, although I do usually stretch my Fury strings overnight I'm not 100% sold on the idea that a 70lb. bow produces enough tension to make the strings budge if stretched for 1.5 hrs. My first test set was stretched for exactly 1.5 hrs and the customer said nothing has budged. My customer measured his strings by pulling tension on them with a machinists lathe and he measured the lengths with a large set of calipers at his shop. He installed the strings, shot 100 arrows and removed the strings to check measurements. After 100 shots he measured an increase between .005"-.008". He installed the strings on his bow and shot 400-500 arrows before measuring again. He claims the measurements have not changed since the first 100 shots. He has thousands of shots on the strings and says everything is measuring the same as it did after his first 100 arrows. So, they moved about the thickness of a human hair, a piece of paper or half that of a business card and haven't budged since. I'm not saying the same results can't be had with Bcy X but in my opinion Fury has the edge right now. You can also get an actual White material in Fury.
Those pure white strings are AWESOME looking. I'd loose my mind if they started to get dirty though.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
I realize that some makers recieved fury from Brownell before it was available to the general public, so how long has it been on bows? I'm only asking cause I would think if it was going to have any issues with creep or major fading/fuzzing it's had plenty of time on the bows to do so.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Can you guys post more pics of finished fury sets, I'm thinking about getting a set soon , thanks
I have this Fury string on the stretcher right now. I love the colors, which are even brighter than in the pic, and Fury is the easiest material to work with that I have ever used. Earlier this morning, I built something using 452x and now that I have been using Fury for awhile, I really hate that stuff. I have never used BCY X, but after my experience with Fury, I see no need to look any farther.

The string in the pic has been de-waxed and burnished so what you see is what you get. There is no extra wax of make the string look artificially smooth and it has been only moderately burnished.

My Bowtech Sentinel was shooting 276 fps @ 50# using 452x, but now it is up to 286 fps with Fury strings. I'll take that any day, and the feel of the shot is better.

I love Fury and use it exclusively.

Automan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I have this Fury string on the stretcher right now. I love the colors, which are even brighter than in the pic, and Fury is the easiest material to work with that I have ever used. Earlier this morning, I built something using 452x and now that I have been using Fury for awhile, I really hate that stuff. I have never used BCY X, but after my experience with Fury, I see no need to look any farther.

The string in the pic has been de-waxed and burnished so what you see is what you get. There is no extra wax of make the string look artificially smooth and it has been only moderately burnished.

My Bowtech Sentinel was shooting 276 fps @ 50# using 452x, but now it is up to 286 fps with Fury strings. I'll take that any day, and the feel of the shot is better.

I love Fury and use it exclusively.

Automan
That's a good lookin string automan26!!!! That yellow is super bright!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Yes, and I'm sure BCY really appreciates the, "Great product you have there! Congratulations on your second place trophy!"
According to everyone's claims that use fury on the bow and the look of the finished product, it seems this statement is true. Time will tell if big name bow companies switch to fury or continue with bcy which will have alot to do with sales

·
Registered
21,403 Posts
According to everyone's claims that use fury on the bow and the look of the finished product, it seems this statement is true. Time will tell if big name bow companies switch to fury or continue with bcy which will have alot to do with sales
Haha yeah I'm not sure what EPLC is thinking. Last I checked, the free market wasn't about every company getting an "everybody's special, blue participation ribbon" just for existing. I'm pretty sure the company with the best products get the best reviews.

Maybe BCY will come out with a product that looks better and performs better than Brownell next year and then they can get the good reviews. Until then, they get the second place ribbon from me.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Well its a safe bet to say if you made an identical color set of strings one in X and one in Fury and let your customer see them and decide which one they like better i would bet at least 9 out of 10 will pick the Fury set.

·
Banned
25,703 Posts
I have had a lot of strings made by different builders and a lot is to be said about a good builder. Have had strings made with the same material and one set moved a mile and the other held true. So it's not just material but the build process as well that gives you great end results.

161 - 180 of 430 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.