Votes: 37 13.4%
  • 81-100%

Votes: 222 80.4%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be honest....What's your miss/loss vs. recovered percentage?

I know its hard to remember back that far for some people since they've been bowhunting for the last 20 or 30+ years. I'm 25 and my bowhunting record didn't really start until I was 20, besides my first deer with a bow at 14, so...

Last 5 years only MISSES COUNT TOO, not just deer that you have shot and lost

Take the number of deer you have killed and recovered over the total number you have missed/lossed/recovered.

If the deer was rotten by the time you found it but you have the mount hanging on your wall, sorry that doesn't count in this thread because everything was wasted but the antlers.

I am 15 for 24 shots = 0.625 x 100 = 62.5%

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i have no clue my percent....
2 years ago- 9 for 9
last year- 6 for 9. one was a bow kill, shot way low and the other a gun, no idea what heppend, found very little blood.

i have lost more deer than what i posted, i just not sure how many i shot during the past years.

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
I've missed so many deer in my lifetime and some I even missed 2 & 3 times at one time

no way to get a percentage out of me, I stated bow hunting before compounds bows...lol

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
9 for 10 so my sample size is still relatively small...hope i can keep that avereage for the rest of my hunting days

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea im sure its going to be hard for the old 'experienced' guys to keep count. i'll change it to the last 5 years.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
So far I've only lost one buck(knock on wood).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Been doin it since the 70s. Never lost a BOW deer. Some with a rifle and musket tho. Of course its pretty easy to track here. And if one doesnt drop in sight you can see where he beds or figure it out. Hmmmm lets see, 1-2" grass for 2 sections and then a small waterway with thistles in it. Glass the grass and then check the waterway . It seems a lot of deer in woods areas arent recovered. Usually not the case in the flatlands.I guided over 15 years and only lost 3 archery deer. I am a hound dog though. When a deer bleeds I dont stop. EVER. And some of my clients Ive found them MILES away. If you lose a trail just go the direction he was traveling till you hit a fence and check where he jumped. A jump will always leak a bit. Of course this is impossible for you guys in the woods. Trailing is really easy out here compared to woods. Out here they usually head 1 direction, in the woods who knows?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Also I dont think anyone should hunt without a dog. Even if its illegal. I'll pay a ticket any day over losing a deer. The household pet is trainable.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
understand i'm talking about misses too. not just wounded.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
In the last 5 years i have recovered all my deer. But i have only shot 7 deer. I have missed 1 time last year due to my arrow braking in flight.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Last 20 years-one doe not recovered when she went on private land. Before that I lost a few. Now, if I draw my bow on a deer their dead. Most of this is because of stand placement.

·
Registered
949 Posts
35 years hunting and you wanna know misses? WOW. No clue. A bunch before 1990 or so. 1 or 2 in the early 90s. None since 2000. I missed one at 20 pretzeled up in a treestand and then stepped down a rung and centered him at 63. I think a lot of misses are treestand related.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Last year I went 0-2, both clean misses due to twigs deflecting my arrow. Before that I'm probably around 4 for 7. I can shoot targets all day long but once you put a live deer in front of me I seem to get a little edgey, imagine that!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
going back 5 years
2010 i was 1 for 2 (misssed a chip shot on a doe...clean miss)
2009 i went 2 for 3 (center punched a sapling)
2008 2 for 2
2007 2 for 2
2006 0 for 1 ( clean miss)
that 70% for the last 5 years...and i am between 70-80% lifetime
i have only lost 1 deer over the 21 years i have hunted...i have had two stolen by other hunters

i either miss completely and kill em dead!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Last year I went 0-2, both clean misses due to twigs deflecting my arrow. Before that I'm probably around 4 for 7. I can shoot targets all day long but once you put a live deer in front of me I seem to get a little edgey, imagine that!
Funny and seems common but I'm complete opposite. When me and my cousin target shoot he spanks me. When we hunt spot stalk together if we get within 40 he shoots. Over that and its me. He makes me shoot sometimes when the wind is blowing and I go NO WAY and he says "fool you dont miss deer".

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
In 10 years (since I was 14) I have a 65% per your requirements. I'm 11 for 17 lifetime as a bowhunter. Most misses and/or lost deer happened before I turned 19 years old. Between 20 and 24 I've really honed the skills and became a better archer and hunter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm fortunate to say I've only lost 1 deer after hitting it in the last 10 years and that was last year.(rushed a shot and hit her low in the brisket)
But man have i missed clean!!! wow, i don't think i want to even post that number!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts