Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
senero-You have 3 young does already in the frezer-Its early season and evening-your in you tree stand a doe and a 10pt buck steps out-which one do you take?-Be Honest!

If you shoot the buck you are a trophy hunter,and the meat a bonis.

If you take the doe 1. you have to many trophys at home
2. you have a very big family
3.your very hungry
4. other?

· Registered
319 Posts
i am not a trophy hunter but i would take the buck
1. buck bigger
2. biggest buck i would have taken so far
3. i could care less about the rack. except if world record

only down fall is the doe tasteier but you make up for it in quanity by taking the buck

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Well thats a first

Bubba,
Your the first bowhunter I've ever seen that doesn't care about killing a big buck. Every bowhunter I know dreams of shooting a 10 point some day....

Speed-Freak,
The 10 point is getting it!!! If it was a doe and a 4 point, and I had 3 doe in the freezer. I would pass on both. Can't get 10 points if you kill all the 4 points, and I probably wouldn't feel like butchering the doe if I had 3 already!

Bo

· Registered
304 Posts
If I am trophy hunting I hold out for the buck if he meets my set size,age and horn standards.He must then give me a shot that I know is under my set limit of 30 yards with the right angle, he must be calm and still. We then take the shot, If not he walks. With the buck down or he has walked off I will then try to do some herd mang. I will try to take a large alpha doe but only if the shot is good and I am sure the doe is a doe not a button buck. Sorry this is long winded but this is how I would deal with this setup

· Registered
20,621 Posts
Nothing in this scenario fits me.

First, I would not have any young does in the freezer. Mature does, yes.

As far as the 10 point goes....he would have to be a big one.

Yes, I am a trophy hunter. Did not start out that way, but after 30 years of bowhunting in many states, I figure I have done enough damage to 12-14" 8 points in my lifetime.

I know it is not for everyone, but holding out for BIG bucks was the best thing I ever did. It gives me more time in the woods, I don`t have to drag nearly as many deer.:D

And, until I decided to hold out for really big bucks or nothing, I never shot a really big buck. Since then, well, my wife says no more deer heads in the house.;)

· Registered
1,480 Posts
:D I had to chime in on this one. I have been lucky enough to have had some real nice bucks 7, 8 points under my stand and have also arrowed a few real nice ones. About two years ago while hunting with a friend I had sit still for an entire day and about 2:00 in the afternoon I saw a small 4 point working his way towards me and I watched as he passed just behind me and to my right. I wasn't to enthused as he was real small. About an hour later I heard the leaves crunching and watched as a real nice buck was coming and took the route just behind me as the 4 point had taken, however this ol boy decided to work his way around me and was about 15 yards on my right and I had a great view of the buck. He had 10 points and the brow tines were what I call double which made him a 10 pointer. The problem was I had pine trees in the way along with brush that made a shot impossible. I would be later surprised when this buck was harvested in rifle season by the same guy I was hunting with. We had both seen this buck before but, with a bow there were no ethical shots presented to us and we opted not to chance wounding the buck. He was about 18" or alittle wider and a nice rack for here in Pa. I am telling this story because I have no doubt in my mind what I would do if the above scenario would present itself to me.

· Registered
Hoyt Satori w/ Uukha Gobi limbs 45# @ 28"
2,777 Posts
When I'm deer hunting, what I shoot, I eat, reguardless of size or sex.

If my freezer is full, then I'm done hunting deer. At that point I'll switch tactics and hunt waterfowl, predators or varmints.

I wouldn't put myself in this situation. ;)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

· Registered
452 Posts
you wouldn't be illegal in PA if you had all of the possible doe tags. I Have put 3 doe and a buck in the freezer for the last two years legally in PA.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Extremesolo said:
you wouldn't be illegal in PA if you had all of the possible doe tags. I Have put 3 doe and a buck in the freezer for the last two years legally in PA.
Where i'm at bonus tags don't stick around long,so I'm lucky to get one..I see your in the Mt Holly area,you guys always have extra at the end of the year.Got some buddies over your way,In Enola,might come down that way this year..

· Registered
2,461 Posts
Bigger buck

I say Id wait it out for a bigger buck but they dont get a whole lot bigger than the 18pt non-typ that I shot in 94, But that is a once in a lifetime animal. I would have to take the ten pt and be happy with it as my job doesnt let me hunt as much as i would like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.