Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just received a dozen Black Eagle Magnums from another AT member.

Supposedly they were only shot for two rounds of spots, and I believe that based off the pristine condition I received them in and upon thoroughly inspecting them before use...The were already assembled when I received them and here's the specs, including the bow I shot them through:

Arrows; BE Magnums, 300/.001, 32", 200grn pro points, 4" Duravanes, Easton G-nock/large.

Bow; Hoyt PCE, SpiralX cams, 28" DL, 54lbs, AAE Pro Blade rest w/.010 narrow rest.

They tuned perfectly, with a 1/16" tail high tear at 6' and bullet at 10yds.

Only shot into PacificBowButts target butt. One arrow per spot.

After tuning, including blade tuning...So, about 10-15 shots on each of 6 arrows, I went ahead a shot a Vegas round.

During the round, which the arrows were hitting nothing but X's, I flex tested one of the 6 I was rotating through and it snapped almost perfectly in half w/almost no effort at all!

This scared the living crap out of me and I proceeded to flex the rest of the arrows (keep in mind that I've only shot 6 out of the dozen!), and two more snapped in exactly the same way...two of them in almost identical places!

I'm now too scared to shoot the rest of them and went back to my trusty X27's!

It's too bad, as they were flat out smoking my X27's in the accuracy department!

I don't know if I have any recourse at all w/the seller, but I'm not thrilled at the prospect of being out the money I spent!

Anyway,

Here's a pic of the three that snapped...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yep...they fly great but they are very brittle. Had one brake pulling it out of a stacked cardboard target. Others have broken for little to no reason. Scared to use them anymore. Thing i liked about them is how easy they are to tune to the bow. I am sure there are others out there that tune also with a little more durability. Buyers beware. These are also the magnums...dont know about the rest of thier arrows.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Same results here with 350's, but never had one break that far back. I convinced myself that the helical fletch was twisting them in half when they hit the target.
Had to blame it on something.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Anyone contact BE? I wonder what they have to say about it. From what I've seen...they are a very stand up company. Not saying they will replace the arrows but I'm sure they will make an effort to take care of you. Especially if it is potentially a bad batch of arrows.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be a bad batch, and I'm not really expecting anything from BE...They were second-hand after all, and I'm sure I'm just screwed for the money I spent!

I was really looking forward to shooting these, as a lot of the top shooters in the PNW shoot these w/great success...But now, I'm way too gun shy to try them again!

I think the components will fit GT XXX's, so I'll just salvage the components and build some of those, or just stick to my X27's!

By going to these, I was hoping for a more forgiving setup compared to the X27's as I could spine these out better...Oh well!

·
Registered
17,303 Posts
just shoot thinner thicker walled shafts...problem solved. It's not like fat shafts give you significant advantage anyway...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Shot them at our state tournament last year. The state just got a bunch of new whitetail white foam targets and the centers were very hard. Every one was lubing thier arrows. The be magnums held up that day but started snapping soon afterwards. Hope you are right about maybe having a bad batch because i would like to try them again. They are very forgiving compared to others the same size that i have tried.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just shoot thinner thicker walled shafts...problem solved. It's not like fat shafts give you significant advantage anyway...
I also shoot 23 size shafts, both carbon and aluminum, just fine, thank you very much!

I also like having 27 size shafts for leagues/tourney's where they are allowed, as most of my competitors are doing the same and I don't want to be at a disadvantage, even if it's arguably negligible/unnecessary...In my testing, I've found it to be enough of an advantage that I want them when/where allowed!

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
Shoot GoldTip, toughest and most consistent arrow money can buy.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I really love my aluminum arrows. I have X7 Eclipse and X27, I don't see any reason to go back to carbon arrows. I don't hunt, so I don't need to worry about light arrows. As an added bonus, I don't have to worry about a carbon arrow going through my hand.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
For shooting 5 spot I have been using the same 1/2 doz x 7 2613 I bought 15 years ago they are still straight the anodizing is starting to show wear on the front 10" and if I can hold on the X that's wear they go.I have thought about fat carbon but if they are brittle I will just shot my x7.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am in the process of switching back to the Magnums for the winter. I shoot indoor 3d all winter and will be using the same dozen I bought this time last year.I'll use them for my spots league too. I still have 9 of them left and the 3 that broke were hit by other arrows in competition. I've had fantastic results with them! BEA is all I've been shooting since 6 months before I signed up for their field staff.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
At the end of out tournament season last year . I was shooting with someone that was shooting BE's . 4 arrows snapped pulling them from the target. It was a shame because those arrows were grouping awesome . He was shooting a monster with a lot of KE .

At the 3d championships for the state i see someone shooting the same BE'S. I asked if he had any trouble . He said no . But he was shooting a single cam supra . Single cam = less KE . Dont know if this helps at all but something to think about

1 - 20 of 36 Posts