Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spartans are my favorite arrows I have owned, my only complaint is the tacky decal. Anyway, a lot of ppl have been talking up these Maximas. A trusted arrow guy has reassured me the Spartans are superior from his tests. What do you guys think? Need a new dozen after changing draw lengths and Im always up for trying something new.

·
DeaD Middle
4,447 Posts
I've shot all brands...Black Eagle beats them all. I've used the Spartans last two years killed 4 deer. Group great and used fixed blade heads on them.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I've shot all brands...Black Eagle beats them all. I've used the Spartans last two years killed 4 deer. Group great and used fixed blade heads on them.
I'm guessing you haven't shot the Red sd arrows yet?
I don't think you would make that statement if you had.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. Been look at Black eagle and Easton Axis arrows but then ran across the thread on the Red SD arrows.
While the Axis Pro and the BE (carnivore) are looking on the more affordable side the write up on the Red SD has me intrigued.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I haven’t shot the red sd’s but I have shot the blu rz’s. Same tech so I’m assuming performance is the same or very similar. I considered trying the sd’s but between my discount on BE arrows ($105/dz .001 bareshafts), and the fact that Spartans still take a insert(I have trouble trusting half outs even though I haven’t heard much about the durability of carbon Express half outs), I stayed with the Spartans. Both are great arrows and you really can’t go wrong with either.

If I were you, I would base my decision off of what you want in a finished arrow. Your Spartans are probably going to be a good bit lighter unless you start adding some insert weight. I run a pretty light arrow at 415gr with 30gr insert weights. I’ve contemplated the 75gr insert but am a little afraid it may make me a bit underspined. Without the insert weight, my Spartan would be 385gr and a finished Red Sd would be 430gr. A pretty significant difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
DeaD Middle
4,447 Posts
I'm guessing you haven't shot the Red sd arrows yet?
I don't think you would make that statement if you had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT0JMQ31KLQ

After I saw this video I wouldn't buy CE arrows again.
I know Black Eagle was the only maufacturer that tested straightness the whole length of the shaft not 28" like everyone else. Excellent spine consistency from the ones I've used. Shot Challengers, Carnivores, Rampage and Spartans all have grouped well for me. The only arrows I've shot this well were ACC's.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT0JMQ31KLQ

After I saw this video I wouldn't buy CE arrows again.
I know Black Eagle was the only maufacturer that tested straightness the whole length of the shaft not 28" like everyone else. Excellent spine consistency from the ones I've used. Shot Challengers, Carnivores, Rampage and Spartans all have grouped well for me. The only arrows I've shot this well were ACC's.
That video is total bs. You would have to test the Red sd for yourself to see how increadible they really are.

·
DeaD Middle
4,447 Posts
Truth about an Arrow. There are two sides to every argument. https://youtu.be/ttno3huZj88

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dudleys video was from 2011 when CE first made claims of this. It took 4 years to rebut it? It looks like they have it figured out now looking at that video
. I'm very happy with my BE arrows. Never had any issues been shooting them 6 years now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the Maxima Reds use a standard insert and the SD's use a half out? Is that the only difference? What is the advantage of the half out? Seems like the regular insert would be the safer bet

·
can I shoot it?
17,047 Posts
The SD are a smaller diameter arrrow (SD) then the regular Reds which are a standard sized shaft. The SD’s are the same OD as the axis shaft which is why there is a need for an outsert.

·
Registered
14,587 Posts
The Spartans will take a beating better than the Maximas. The CE take straight on hits well but blow apart with any small side/angled impact. Both are excellent and the spine in the Spartans is just as good as the carbon express. My deep impacts had less than .001" variance around each shaft in the 2 dozen I tested and my Spartans where within .002" in the dozen I got. That's spine not straightness. Straightness the outside was almost perfect, well under the .001" rating on both shafts.

·
Registered
24,973 Posts
The Spartans will take a beating better than the Maximas. The CE take straight on hits well but blow apart with any small side/angled impact. Both are excellent and the spine in the Spartans is just as good as the carbon express. My deep impacts had less than .001" variance around each shaft in the 2 dozen I tested and my Spartans where within .002" in the dozen I got. That's spine not straightness. Straightness the outside was almost perfect, well under the .001" rating on both shafts.
Dynamic spine reaction is where the Red Zones shine above the competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,973 Posts
Then why are you shooting vaps? My vaps aren't even in the same league as my deep impacts....
Testing as I always do.

Victory has come along ways in tolerances. Solid arrows
However, there is definitely a difference when you test them dynamically to the Red Zone technology.

Waiting on my CX Nano RZ’s

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Testing as I always do.

Victory has come along ways in tolerances. Solid arrows
However, there is definitely a difference when you test them dynamically to the Red Zone technology.

Waiting on my CX Nano RZ’s

Any difference between the standard Red and the Red SD. Looking to try a set out now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate the idea of an outsert but I like trying new things in the off season. If I don't like them, Ill take care of them for all you CX fans and meet you in the classifieds.

·
Registered
24,056 Posts
I hate the idea of an outsert but I like trying new things in the off season. If I don't like them, Ill take care of them for all you CX fans and meet you in the classifieds.
Precisely why I choose Easton Axis and use the HIT inserts. Options include the stock aluminum version and the break off 50/75 brass for more FOC if desired. No interest in outserts for me whatsoever.

·
Hunter of many things
12,154 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts