Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
can I shoot it?
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the rain early and tons of heat the beans (and corn) are doing amazingly well here in Iowa this year. What that means to us bowhunters is that the protein and carbs will be there in spades and the deer can travel when ever they want and still be almost completely covered up.
Not hard to see what mini "kill" plots aren't much use here in Iowa when your whole state is food plot. Here are a couple of pics to show what I mean. Now neither deer is has a huge body but still, see how well covered even a 3 year old buck is, and this is just the beans!

Attachments

·
Padawan
2,372 Posts
I concur. Living here in Dubuque County, NE Iowa.

I keep telling people the whole state is one big deer smorgasbord!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Feedn The Geese
12,214 Posts
Ive never seen more rain in the summer in the north east in my 37 years on this planet. Everything here is growing insane! Cover and food everywhere, where I live is mountain so its not ag but man you can barely walk in the clear cuts or the strip mines.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Like Moonshiner said, Mo needs some moisture, especially central Mo.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
With all the rain early and tons of heat the beans (and corn) are doing amazingly well here in Iowa this year. What that means to us bowhunters is that the protein and carbs will be there in spades and the deer can travel when ever they want and still be almost completely covered up.
Not hard to see what mini "kill" plots aren't much use here in Iowa when your whole state is food plot. Here are a couple of pics to show what I mean. Now neither deer is has a huge body but still, see how well covered even a 3 year old buck is, and this is just the beans!
That's what mature beans look like.

·
Team #9
8,638 Posts
those beans are tall...you need a buddy to help hunt them with you....I volunteer to help you ..would be amazing to leave some of those beans standing and see what comes to them late seasons or after hunting season.....

·
Registered
987 Posts
Always amazed at how well stuff grows in the midwest, here in NC most of the beans I see are around knee high. First year I hunted KY I made a trip in August to hang stands, got off the highway in Hopkinsville and the beans looked to be head high and I'm 6-3! No wonder your deer are huge and ours are swamp rabbits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts