Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FilippoITA
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, i have bought 1 year ago a Bear Archery Grizzly recurve bow 55lb, 58'' Amo lenght, 58'' Stringh lenght.
I've shot thousands of arrows with it and today the string broke (1 of the two) the string was the standard one who came packed with the bow itslef, it was a Dacron Flemish Twist (dont know the lenght but it had 16 strings in total 8 each) and now i dont really know how to replace it because im quite ignorant when it comes to strings.
What do you suggest?
Thanks for reading and sorry for my english its because im italian.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I always had great luck with 60X strings. When buying strings in their recurve section, you can choose your string length, color, and 16 strings all for around $20 with free shipping.

·
FilippoITA
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an amazing site and i didnt know it, thanks a lot, the only thing as that from pennsylvania to italy the shipping is 14 dollars, wich is not so low.
Anyway if i dont find anything better 100% ill buy from them because they seem to be the best from what i have seen.
Anwyay do you know if i can mount a fast flight or do i have to stick to the Dacron?
Thanks again

·
FilippoITA
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really cant find anything better than 60X Strings, there are a lot of people commenting very positively about them and theyr strings and the shipping is the lowest so far, now i have 1 last question before buying, if my bow has an amo lenght of 58'' the string that i have to buy must be 58'' too right? because being a flemish decron i should be able to adjust it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
String is 3" shorter than AMO. In other words 58" AMO means a 55" string. Then you can add twist to the string to shorten it and increase your brace height. I currently have a 50# grizzly 58" AMO. Nice bows!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Alternative in the UK sells Flemish Dacron string for under $5.00 USD. Shipping would not be much to you from there.

·
FilippoITA
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
String is 3" shorter than AMO. In other words 58" AMO means a 55" string. Then you can add twist to the string to shorten it and increase your brace height. I currently have a 50# grizzly 58" AMO. Nice bows!
I've red about it somewhere but i wasnt so sure about it, because on my Owner's Manual from Bear archery there is written that the string lenght for the grizzly is 58'' (same as the AMO lenght)
Anyway i will listen to you, knowing these things in italy is pretty hard because the most practiced archery here is the olimpic one and the traditional one is something very very rare and even the vendors are quite ignorant about this topic.

·
FilippoITA
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why don't you get a string locally and save the shipping from the US?
Alternative in the UK sells Flemish Dacron string for under $5.00 USD. Shipping would not be much to you from there.
I found one at merlin archery (UK) but i dont know the lenght that i need to buy... it should be 58-3=55 but in this site they ask me my bow lenght and not string lenght, so i just should tell them my bow lenght and they would figure it out for me i guess...?
Sorry for these many questions but getting to know all these informations on the internet reading in a language wich is not mine its such a big mess.
Thnaks a lot again

·
Registered
204 Posts
I found one at merlin archery (UK) but i dont know the lenght that i need to buy... it should be 58-3=55 but in this site they ask me my bow lenght and not string lenght, so i just should tell them my bow lenght and they would figure it out for me i guess...?
Sorry for these many questions but getting to know all these informations on the internet reading in a language wich is not mine its such a big mess.
Thnaks a lot again[/QUOTE]

I have never dealt with Merlin myself, but I have heard good things about them. Sometimes trying to find out things on the internet can be confusing even if you do understand the language.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really cant find anything better than 60X Strings, there are a lot of people commenting very positively about them and theyr strings and the shipping is the lowest so far, now i have 1 last question before buying, if my bow has an amo lenght of 58'' the string that i have to buy must be 58'' too right? because being a flemish decron i should be able to adjust it.
If you convert that to Italian measurements, I believe the string length you need would be 6.75 uncooked spaghetti noodles.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I shoot several 58" recurves and use 55" strings for them. The exception is my Border, but that's a whole 'nother story.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
...they ask me my bow lenght and not string lenght, so i just should tell them my bow lenght and they would figure it out for me i guess...?...

Yes. They know a 58" AMO bow uses a 55" string. That's what AMO (now ATA) is all about--standards.

·
FilippoITA
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you convert that to Italian measurements, I believe the string length you need would be 6.75 uncooked spaghetti noodles.
Just yesterday evening i've got myself some good 300 grams of spaghetti with an homemade tomato sauce with on top some fresh grinded parmigiano reggiano, and i can tell you that you can touch the sky while eating them.

I shoot several 58" recurves and use 55" strings for them. The exception is my Border, but that's a whole 'nother story.
Ok that's it then! i'll go for the 55'' dacron flemish string. You guys helped me soo much i wish you all good things, thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts