Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife called me from work today, and told me she has d.ecided that she wants to get a compound bow and learn to shoot. After picking my jaw up off the floor and asking her like three times if she was serious or not. (She has never had an interest in archery in the ten years I've been with her). She informed me yes she was definitely interested, but the bow had to have pink camo on it and a pink string. (Go figure).

So I did alot of looking at bow websites this morning and came across the homewrecker. GanderMountain has them but wont let her shoot it unless she is pretty damn sure she wants to buy it. None of the other shops around here have them other than dick's.

Has anyone purchased one of these for their spouse, if so your opion of it. I want a bow that will last her for years to come, but don't have the money to get her a mathew's or other expensive bow.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife started with a Parker buckshot. She wanted a new bow and shot the Homewrecker. She loves it. Have it set at 43lbs and it is very quiet and pretty quick.

·
Registered deer murderer
632 Posts
What's an Opion? Is it sort of like an opiate? If so, I don't have any.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What's an Opion? Is it sort of like an opiate? If so, I don't have any.
I can't 'd.ecide' what an 'opion' is.

HAHA, I'm kidding. I wouldn't go all out on spending money on a bow for a woman. I've seen my wife, sister, and mother all pick up expensive hobbies to only stop a few months in. I would try to buy one on AT and then buy a real nice one in a year or two if she still loves it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would look cheap or used to get her started

·
Registered
276 Posts
wont let her shoot it eh? i would not shop there.. actually i have stopped shopping at gander. found me a nice little archery shop in the boonies, will be going there from now on. and i agree, don't spend a bunch on her first bow, get something used.

·
Registered deer murderer
632 Posts
Getting your wife involved is risky business. She may be doing it just to make you happy, in which case, you will be stuck with a bunch of extra equipment that she won't use. If she decides she really likes it, it's even worse. You may end up having your hunting budget cut in half for the rest of your life! You're treading dangerous ground, my friend. If you absolutely must do it, then go cheap or used.

·
Registered
276 Posts
thats the bow i was thinking of, just couldnt remember the name, quest torch. i agree, looks like a good pick if you want new

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry bout all the miss spelled words, guys. I sent this from my phone.

My plan was and is, to have her go to a shop and shoot the different bows that she is interested in. Then based on what she likes, look for the same bow used. After all, I can't have my wife shooting a brand new high-dollar bow, when I'm shooting a used bow. Lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry bout all the miss spelled words, guys. I sent this from my phone.

My plan was and is, to have her go to a shop and shoot the different bows that she is interested in. Then based on what she likes, look for the same bow used. After all, I can't have my wife shooting a brand new high-dollar bow, when I'm shooting a used bow. Lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My next question is, what is the minimum poundage for deer hunting. I think she'll be able to handle 50lb's but if not what the lowest a person could go, and still do it safely??

·
Registered
276 Posts
varies by state, ohio is 40 lbs.. i want to say 40 is common with a lot of states.. could be wrong though.. i don't live in other states

·
Registered
621 Posts
Michigan doesn't even have a minimum draw weight.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When my wife did the same thing to me three yrs ago I bought her a razors edge and she is still shooting it and loves although we are replacing it after season this year to move her up and to move my 8yr old into it, she started shooting just under 40 and quickly moved up to about 44, she is still there and I feel perfectly comfortable having her shoot a deer with it at that weight, she killed a doe last year with it and it blew through like a hot knife through butter, just put on a good COC and get her lots and lots of practice.

Steve

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I agree with DirtyD...pick her up something nice outta the classys here, you might be surprised what you can find her, then if she really does enjoy the sport then you got 2 choices.....pay to have it dipped and buy new strings or sell it on here and buy here something nicer!

Either way OP if you wouldnt mind could you post your Wifes cell number.....I would love to have my GF call her and see if your wife cant convince her to give it a try too...:thumbs_up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts