Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shot a Bear Assault bow 5 hours ago and I was wondering if anyone else had and what were your thoughts about it.
I have a 31 inch draw and the Assault is the only Bear bow that goes that high. It has an MSRP of $549 and can sometimes be had fo $50 less.
The bow shop did not have modules for the bow so I had to shoot it at the factory set 29 Inches of draw. It was a 70# bow set down to 60#. I have a long hand and the grip is very small but it felt very comfortable to me. (Kind of similar to a PSE Vendetta XL.) I thought the bow balanced very nicely. (It had a Limbsaver Stab on it). The draw was very smooth to me. It will probably be a little tougher at my normal 31 inch draw but it did not have a big lump in the draw stroke. It was one of the nicest draw strokes I have felt in a while. It has a very pleasant valley and good back wall. It holds really easily. They did not have a chronograph available so I don't know the speed.(IBO is 328.) I was shooting a 420 grain arrow. The bow was very quiet with the Whisker Bisquit rest. So far, most of what I've said was positive. And overall, I really liked the bow. But, after the shot there is quite a bit of bottom limb kick and a fair amount of vibration. :confused: This was about the only negative remark I could find. I don't know if a good stabilizer can calm that down or not. I am still thinking about getting the bow but wanted some more opinions. For the money I thought it was very good looking and comfortable bow to shoot.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
None of the shops here have the assault out yet. I just shot the Attack the other day, and it was alright, but the price is up there! I hope to see an assault and shoot one soon though. Thanks for your review!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pretty much agree with you on everything except vibration. I didn't feel any but did feel the slight kick you mentioned.Maybe 1 was timed a little diff.,as for speed 29/60 360gr arrow 285fps.Seems to fall a little short of adv.IBO(10fps or so).Plenty fast though,this is a great bow,should sell good,I would buy it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty much agree with you on everything except vibration. I didn't feel any but did feel the slight kick you mentioned.Maybe 1 was timed a little diff.,as for speed 29/60 360gr arrow 285fps.Seems to fall a little short of adv.IBO(10fps or so).Plenty fast though,this is a great bow,should sell good,I would buy it.
The kick I felt was more than slight. But like I said, I would still buy it. I really liked the feel and draw. Do you think a good stab would help? The cam machining was very impressive and I like the darker color on the cams.

Anybody else shoot this bow?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I went in a few weeks ago to try the new line out and the only one they had was the strike. I tried it out and loved it but it was a sunday and I really didn't go in to buy that day (low on funds). I went back this morning to buy it and try out the attack and assault, needless to say I think my sig says the rest. I'm glad I waited. I couldn't tell much difference between the assault and attack but price and speed. Personally I don't think the deer will care I saved a bit of money and the arrow isn't going as fast when they get hit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went in a few weeks ago to try the new line out and the only one they had was the strike. I tried it out and loved it but it was a sunday and I really didn't go in to buy that day (low on funds). I went back this morning to buy it and try out the attack and assault, needless to say I think my sig says the rest. I'm glad I waited. I couldn't tell much difference between the assault and attack but price and speed. Personally I don't think the deer will care I saved a bit of money and the arrow isn't going as fast when they get hit.
Did you find any kick or vibration with the Assault? I thought it had a noticeable amount of both. That was about the only negative I could find.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The first time I shot it there was a bit but it was set at 70lbs and 29 inch draw, more than I'm used to and draw a bit long. After I had them turn it down and shorten it a bit it was comparable to anything else I shot during the day from hoyt or martin. It was bare bow also while I was shooting it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have a chance to check the speed? I have a 31 inch draw so getting decent speed is not a real problem. I see that you bought it, congrats. It's a sharp looking, nice feeling bow. And a heck of a bargain in todays market.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Did you have a chance to check the speed? I have a 31 inch draw so getting decent speed is not a real problem. I see that you bought it, congrats. It's a sharp looking, nice feeling bow. And a heck of a bargain in todays market.
I've only started to put my goodies on it. Can't find my peep that I had but as soon as I serve it in and get it zeroed in I'll break out my chrono for ya. Might take a while, bow season doesn't stop till the end of feb and I'm not swapping out mid season. I also shoot a WB so that drops it a FPS or 2, thinking of trying a drop away on this one tho.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've only started to put my goodies on it. Can't find my peep that I had but as soon as I serve it in and get it zeroed in I'll break out my chrono for ya. Might take a while, bow season doesn't stop till the end of feb and I'm not swapping out mid season. I also shoot a WB so that drops it a FPS or 2, thinking of trying a drop away on this one tho.
Fair enough. I do not blame you for not swapping out in mid season. That can cause problems.
I currently shoot a Bear Lights Out and kind of wanted to know if I was going to gain much by upgrading to the assault. I like the Lights Out but it is not the fastest bow out there. (IBO 300) It does draw pretty smooth though. The Lights Out has a pretty good amount of bottom limb jump and some hand shock but I don't have alot of accessories on it. Adding some may help. I kind of suspect the jump is from the single bottom cam but I'm not sure. Thanks for the information and I'll keep my eyes open.
I am new to this AT so if I'm going about it wrong please let me know.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You're all good bud. As soon as I get it loaded up and dialed in I'm gonna try to give my best detailed review on it. I'm by no means any pro but I can tell ya what I do and don't like.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Couldn't help myself, it was begging to be shot so I took all my stuff off and put it on. Used my last tag this evening so if I do go back out to hunt its only gonna be with a camera.

With cat whiskers, d-loop, the WB I was getting 300 even. I'm sure if I would take the whiskers off and with a drop away (ordered) it would be faster. I also put a couple of bow jax on the string stops to just get them out of my toolbox. Still no noticable hand shock or noise. My dad came over to watch me "sight it in" and he couldn't believe how it shot. I do wanna try a new stab and get my peep put in.

The only thing I would change on this is the grip, I like on a bit fatter but overall so far I'm really impressed.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Couldn't help myself, it was begging to be shot so I took all my stuff off and put it on. Used my last tag this evening so if I do go back out to hunt its only gonna be with a camera.

With cat whiskers, d-loop, the WB I was getting 300 even. I'm sure if I would take the whiskers off and with a drop away (ordered) it would be faster. I also put a couple of bow jax on the string stops to just get them out of my toolbox. Still no noticable hand shock or noise. My dad came over to watch me "sight it in" and he couldn't believe how it shot. I do wanna try a new stab and get my peep put in.

The only thing I would change on this is the grip, I like on a bit fatter but
overall so far I'm really impressed.
Pretty good speed out of a 28 incher. Just curious, how's the draw length? I've seen where several people said that the Attack was running long. Wondering if that is the case for sure or not seeing as they use the same cam. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The only thing I would change on this is the grip, I like on a bit fatter but overall so far I'm really impressed.
You might have said so earlier but what grain arrow were you shooting at 300 fps? Your set-up looks good though.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Pretty good speed out of a 28 incher. Just curious, how's the draw length? I've seen where several people said that the Attack was running long. Wondering if that is the case for sure or not seeing as they use the same cam. Thanks.
Spot on, I'm using the same release as I was using on my old bow and its still the same

You might have said so earlier but what grain arrow were you shooting at 300 fps? Your set-up looks good though.
In the sigVVV

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe the assault has a rotating module that can change draw lengths without a bow press.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Assault

I owned an Assault 29/60 until a month or so ago.

I really like the bow. I thought it had an outstanding draw cycle and I didn't notice much hand shock or vibration. I shot it with a long stab on it.

As for the kick...definitely noticeable. I had a Bear Done Deal and the same was true with it. I think Bear's single cam is just packed with so much energy the lower limb kick is inevitable.

Anyway...I loved the bow but don't really enjoy shooting shorter ATA and lighter bows anymore (I shoot a Commander). The guy I sold it to is a fellow ATer and he says it continues to shoot the lights out!

I will have to disagree with packers28ftw, the bow does not have a rotating draw length module. Bear dealers have to supply the modules unless you can find them privately (I could not). A press is not required to change the modules though.

If I was in the market for a speedy hunting rig, the Assault would top my list.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have both the Attack and Assault in my shop and have shot both. I am Impressed with the speeds we were getting with the assault. Depending on arrows we were getting between 275 and 302 fps @ 71/29. It is a treestand bow for sure. Smoother on the draw then the Attack for sure. Yes it uses modules for DL adjustment. They do not offer it in shadow (all black) which I wish they would remedy... Overall and awesome bow for 500-550 bucks! You simply will not regret buying one if that is your price range for a bare bow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts