Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Leftovers.

Just raid the fridge, and carry in all the leftovers (burlap sack works great to carry in). Bread, meat, fish, jelly, sweets, etc. Bears love it all, heck, they eat baby diapers. They cant be that picky! :eek:
These are the favorites amongst bears here; Chicken, Jelly, Corn, Chinese food & Halloween Candy.

For scents, you can heat honey in a can or pan, (honey burns).
Also, heating up jelly works just the same....

Anise---found at the supermarket in little bottles, is great. Put it in a spray bottle and mist the area. You can even mist from the stand while you are hunting. They love that stuff.

Best of luck---Matt

·
Registered
84 Posts
used grease around your feed barrel,not only will it attract it will get on there feet and leave a scent trail where ever they go and it leads back to the barrel. anything sweet works wonders,doughnuts especially

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sweet pastry is #1 on my menu.
Check my video clip from last fall.
At the beginning the bear checks one hanging raw chicken drumstick, ignores it, proceeds to doughnuts, ignores second drumstic, 1:33 minutes into the video he checks the second drumstick again and ignores it.
He'll eat meat and other greasy stuff after all the sweets are gone.

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=1615

·
Registered
793 Posts
officer1226 said:
check out this site, it's worked great for me although you are not making it yourself you will not be let down on how well it works. bearscents.com
Which did you buy?? When did you set it up. . .etc. etc. Any tips would be great!! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey root, I used it the entire time i was baiting, the scent I used was bacon. i sprayed it on the trees around the bait and on the logs covering the bait. I know it worked better than what some others used because my bait was only one to get hit almost everyday, the four other bait we placed got hit but not near as many times as mine did using the bacon scent. also remember when baiting have a good selection of baits. if the bears get used to someting day in and day out they may not come in to the bait as often. I like to use mixed baits such as oats, sweet corn, apples, meat, and of course sweets. I just dont use it all at the same time. sweets one day meat or grain another, i dont claim to be an expert but method has worked the best for me. The last thing i can say is do not set a bait with a very large amout of bait, i like to use about half of a 5 gallon this way the bears do not get entirly full and will return again the next day when fresh bait is available. Good luck

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I don't know if you have them up there, but we would go dumpster diving at dunkin doughnuts. We also baited with sun flower seeds. originally it was for the deer but the bears were walking past the doughnuts and eating the sun flower seeds. I don't know if you have fire lanes by your hunting spot, but we would do doughnut drags. we built a cage filled with doughnuts and drove the fire lanes towards the baits

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
use bread/donuts and to a honey burn.

take a tin coffee can and pour some honey in the bottom of it. put it on a colman stove and put it under a tree next to your bait. the scent will coat the area.

or, just put some vanilla extract in a spray bottle and spray that on your bait and everything else.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Fermented grains work good, 5 gallons grain (I use oats & corn), 5 gallons water, 1# of sugar. Mix it up an let it sit coverd in the sun for a week. Frier grease and molasses mixed with bird seed. Fish guts & chicken carcasses. All table scraps. Bread soaked in Kool-aid. The bears I have hunted like fresh meat especially venison trimmings or hunks of meat from road kill deer. The very best meat in my opinion is beaver. Dog food soaked in grease or dry. Fresh corn on the cob (don't remove husks), water melon. Any old pastries that you can find. I also like to save up bacon grease and paint it on trees every 20 yds or so out in four directions from my bait for up to 1/2 mile. I've done honey burns, but only as a hail mary.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
pretty much all been said. you can't beat a grease pad. I keep the grease all year long from cooking bacon, burger, any sort of fat that you drain and keep in the fridge/freezer. thaw it out, put it in the sun or heat before you go out. pour it around the bait. Everytime a bear visits the bait he/she will leave a nice smelly trail right back to you. Its great to get multiple bears in a hurry. Sweets work real good to keep em there, doghnuts are the best for that. Grinding them up into a powder is great for ease of of carrying them in. They will lye right down and lick that powder up til its gone or an arrow makes em move!!!
good luck
Bryan
P.s. don't get garbage to feed the bears, don't forget your eatin what you shoot.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The grease is great, I think you can put grease on about anything and they will eat it. Try taking a pair of post hole diggers and dig a hole as deep as you can, fill it with dog food and then pour a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of gease on top of it. I usually get the grease at the local greasy spoon.
There are alot of advantges to this on top of your normal bait site... :wink:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
another thing you may want to consider

i dont know if this applies to you, as you live in MN, but it deffenently did in alaska. if you use grease, it will have the tendency to attract grizzly's. if that happens, they will quickly take over a bait and chase off most if not all blacks.

thats why we prefered bread/sweets over meat or grease.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
take a coffe can. Put a candle in it. about 2 inches above the can put bacon in a pie pan, just let the bacon BURN BABY BURN

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.