Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting out my own bear bait this fall. I have a line on some expiring, liquid form soft serve ice cream. I have two main concerns:

1. Has anyone used Soft Serve liquid mix as a bear bait, combined with other ingredients?

2. It is dairy, and is stored at about 32-40 degrees in a cooler. Should I keep it cool until I need to mix bait or can I store it my basement where it is cool and dry and use it when I need it. If I do store it warm, will the bear care how "fresh" it is?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Ice cream is very rich and may give the bear diarrhea if used in large quantity...that's bad and bears with a sick tummy don't come to bait until it passes. I know bears come to rotten bait but my ethics won't let me use it. Look up Bob's Bear Bait in Wisconsin to see what he has available. Bavarian crème or pie fillings mixed with granola work very well and his prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
21,769 Posts
Cookies & honey or molasses.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Ice cream is very rich and may give the bear diarrhea if used in large quantity...that's bad and bears with a sick tummy don't come to bait until it passes. I know bears come to rotten bait but my ethics won't let me use it. Look up Bob's Bear Bait in Wisconsin to see what he has available. Bavarian crème or pie fillings mixed with granola work very well and his prices are reasonable.
I think if he puts out Lac-taid with the ice cream the bears might not get diarrhea. LOL
I used old soda syrup one year and didn't seem to effect them. Not sure on the ice cream.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You get to bait in the fall? Must be nice, haha.

I've always been told to stay away from milk based products in the barrel. Bears don't tolerate them well and wont come back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.