Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the current state of bear recurves and longbows? It seems I hear a lot of negativity around their bows nowadays and they are not what they used to be. Is this true? I’ve always wanted a bear recurve but have been hesitant due to some of the negative talk around them. Can anybody confirm this? I hope it’s not true! Just was curious to see what everyone has to say.

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Don’t own any of their one piece recurves but I do have 3 of their takedowns. Great shooting bows, so much so I took one (and the only bow I took) to ETAR last year and shot it everyday/all day. That being said I have shot the new 60” Kodiak Hunter a lot and it’s a very nice bow to shoot. Wouldn’t say it’s amazing in anyway but did everything as expected. For the price I feel you get exactly what you pay for. The takedowns in my opinion are a little overpriced but it’s cool to shoot something with that kinda history and soul.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t own any of their one piece recurves but I do have 3 of their takedowns. Great shooting bows, so much so I took one (and the only bow I took) to ETAR last year and shot it everyday/all day. That being said I have shot the new 60” Kodiak Hunter a lot and it’s a very nice bow to shoot. Wouldn’t say it’s amazing in anyway but did everything as expected. For the price I feel you get exactly what you pay for. The takedowns in my opinion are a little overpriced but it’s cool to shoot something with that kinda history and soul.
That’s the bow I was kinda wanting was that new kodiak hunter. Sure is a sharp bow! Thanks for that info

· Registered
647 Posts
Not sure what you personally expect from a bow, but the new Kodiak Hunters are fine bows. I got to handle one at the Pa. Bowhunter Festival this year and it looked just fine to me. I think some folks will complain about nearly anything, even when others say they are just as good as the older ones. Don't know why that is, but it is. The old used ones are overpriced anyway so may as well get a new one with a warranty in case you do have an issue. Get it from a reputable dealer as well as that eliminates a lot of hoops. :)

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what you personally expect from a bow, but the new Kodiak Hunters are fine bows. I got to handle one at the Pa. Bowhunter Festival this year and it looked just fine to me. I think some folks will complain about nearly anything, even when others say they are just as good as the older ones. Don't know why that is, but it is. The old used ones are overpriced anyway so may as well get a new one with a warranty in case you do have an issue. Get it from a reputable dealer as well as that eliminates a lot of hoops. :)
Thanks for the feedback! Well said. Just would love to own a bear to add to the collection as well as hunt with it. Thanks!

· Registered
1,023 Posts
That’s the bow I was kinda wanting was that new kodiak hunter. Sure is a sharp bow! Thanks for that info
Yes, is the new Kodiak Hunter. Beautiful looking bow also. The gray glass really stands out. The bow I shot for a couple weeks belong to a friend at the club. He brought it out to shoot one Saturday and I fell in love with the way it looked and it was an easy bow to adapt to. He let me have it for two weeks just to play with. Wouldn’t mind owning one for sure but there are so many bows and so little time (and money). If you do buy one, plan on replacing the string - don’t know what Bear is doing with their strings these days but it’s not good. Besides that…nice bow.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, is the new Kodiak Hunter. Beautiful looking bow also. The gray glass really stands out. The bow I shot for a couple weeks belong to a friend at the club. He brought it out to shoot one Saturday and I fell in love with the way it looked and it was an easy bow to adapt to. He let me have it for two weeks just to play with. Wouldn’t mind owning one for sure but there are so many bows and so little time (and money). If you do buy one, plan on replacing the string - don’t know what Bear is doing with their strings these days but it’s not good. Besides that…nice bow.
I’ve heard that about the strings I will have a custom one ordered for sure. That’s great to hear yes I love the gray glass I have always felt like the black glass has a cheap look but that’s just me. I’m glad they made it look cool haha

· Registered
1,547 Posts
I really LOVE Bear bows and own several. I also have sold a few that I could kick myself for doing and miss them terribly at the moment!
My experience with newer Bear bows has not been the greatest. For example......I bought a '22 Kodiak Mag from a major Traditional archery company last winter. I asked the company to have a tech, look the bow over really good before shipping. Well, when I took the bow out of the plastic/box, I saw 23+ "crazing" lines running perpendicular to both the upper and lower limbs. This occurred where the riser fadeouts were. It's like the resin/glass layer is too brittle and when the limbs flex, these little lines appear. I have had 3 other Bears do this in the past 4yrs. I am currently shooting a Super Mag 48 that developed these crazing lines after approx. 200 arrows. I've got other brands of bows and have never had a single one do this type of thing. Also, I've had some Bears that had bad streaking in the glass where the color didn't take etc.
I'd love to buy a new Kmag because I love the Shedua and gray glass but I'm really leery of what I might get or what may develop in short order. I'd like to have another Super Mag as well but again, I'm wondering. So, this is my experience and it makes it tough to have to buy bows online with out seeing them in person first. It's basically a gamble....50/50. Everything may be fine and then it may not. I don't think any NEW bow should have or develop issues like this when buying new, full price stuff. Good luck to you and if have any more questions just give me a holler!

BTW..... I've heard of MANY issues just like this from other folks so it's not an isolated problem.

· Registered
624 Posts
I posted this exact same thread a few months ago. Seems like you hear lotof complaints about the newer Bears. You will hear a few complaints about any company hear and there, but I have heard enough about Bear that it really stands out.

· Premium Member
10,222 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research on Bear one piece bows, I have been looking at something in the Kodiak line. With my research once I decide on which one I have confidence it will be good, but I realize any manufacturer can have a fe flaws get through. If you look at the number of Bear bows sold I think the odds are in the buyers favor. I wouldn’t buy one that was not under warranty.
That Kodiak Hunter is a nice looking bow.

· Registered
142 Posts
What is the current state of bear recurves and longbows? It seems I hear a lot of negativity around their bows nowadays and they are not what they used to be. Is this true? I’ve always wanted a bear recurve but have been hesitant due to some of the negative talk around them. Can anybody confirm this? I hope it’s not true! Just was curious to see what everyone has to say.
The flaw was with a bunch of brands and the bamboo they used, it was splitting in half with a delamination or the draw weights on bows would be off at one point in 2010's around 2018--2019 maybe a bit earlier like 2017 and some like the Deerseeker Hunter model a semi--recurve Chinese brand still has the draw weight issue but the laminated Asian models Deerseaker sells are mostly fine, sad becuse I was going to buy the Semi recurve that Deerseeker made.

· Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,602 Posts
I have had a couple of them ( grizzly, super grizzly and super kodiak) and never had a problem. Just remember even current production Grizzly model bows require you to use a Dacron string. Their limb tips are not made to handle a fast flight string. Super Grizzly models have reinforced limbs tips.

· Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,602 Posts
Oh, just thought of this, the Bear models I have read that the Grizzly or any model that comes with a D-55 string you want to replace the string due to how cheap the one it comes with that is an un-stretched endless loop.
That is true the flemish twist strings they send out with the bow from the factory is pretty bad. Poorly constructed with a lot of stretch.

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I posted this exact same thread a few months ago. Seems like you hear lotof complaints about the newer Bears. You will hear a few complaints about any company hear and there, but I have heard enough about Bear that it really stands out.
yea it definitely makes me hesitant to buy one. Maybe ill call 3rivers tomorrow and see what some of them have to say.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts