Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 year old daughter finally had a moment of enjoyment shooting a recurve at a state park while camping over the holidays and won a few prizes much to my surprise. When we got home she actually said she wanted to shoot more, again much to my surprise. I've been asking for a couple years now and she never showed an interest. When we got home I dusted off my Little Bear recurve from when I was a kid, put a new string on it and let her give it a try but at twenty pounds it's just a bit much for her. Kept looking at low poundage recurves since I really wanted to start her with instinctive shooting but just couldn't find anything that thrilled me.
I had her handle a couple of youth compounds at the big stores but she complained about the weight of the bows. I was at a loss.
Coming back from a work trip I stopped in a shop to look and found the Bear Cruzer Lite. And it was just that, light. Looked like a well made bow so I did a bit of research and ordered one. What a great little bow. Easily adjustable draw lengths from 18" to 27" and draw weight from something like 4-45 lbs. I was a bit concerned with dropping the draw weight down between 10-15 lbs and how it would affect the performance but it launches arrows really straight and is getting reasonable target penetration. Came with a functional 3 pin site and a decent quiver.
I couldn't be more satisfied with the bow and would definetly recommend it to anyone looking to pick up a kids bow. I would guess a kid could shoot this thing easily up to 14 or 15 years old or older. Plus my daughters excited about shooting which is a blessing. Heck I wish I would have had something like this when I was her age, the possums would not have been safe.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Nice review! I wish the Bear Cruiser Lite was out when I bought my son's first bow! I got the Diamond Atomic but it wasn't a few years before he completely outgrew it.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice review! I wish the Bear Cruiser Lite was out when I bought my son's first bow! I got the Diamond Atomic but it wasn't a few years before he completely outgrew it.

Thanks, I think she'll get more than a few years out of it. Heck at 45 lbs some small adults could easily shoot this thing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My wife wanted to get into archery with my last fall and we had her try some bows. She tried one of these and had to have it. With that being said she has loved it and it has been really great for learning on but Now that she has been shooting it for a while she feels like it's time to go to a bigger bow. Can anyone suggest a good second bow? She looked at the new bear prowes and has a lot of interest for that one.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Bear makes a ton of good bows! I have been seeing the Escape short draws on sale at many online stores for a really good price. It's a shame I can't get one for myself, lol. But there are many other bow manufacturers putting out good bows as well. I'm a Bear and PSE guy. You can find good deals on PSE bows online as well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm all for buying from a pro shop but I have to say that there are some great buys online. Non of the local pro shops had the cruzer lite and I had seen it at one of the big outdoor chain store which i'd prefer not to buy from. I checked ebay and picked the one I bought up for $180 new from a small time seller. They retail for $299.

I took it over to my local pro shop and had them do some setup tweaks on it and alls good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It really is.. my wife started out with this bow and she is still shooting it right now. We shoot every day and some times she suprizes me at how accurate she can shoot with it. We had it setup for her last fall and she is already outgrowing it. She doesn't regret buying it but wishes she got the bigger full size model.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just bought one of these for my 8 yr old. Nice little bow. He is a lefty and it is very difficult to find a left handed bow for kids to shoot. I started out with him shooting a right hand diamond atomic a couple yrs ago but being left eye dominant he had trouble shooting it unless he wore an eye patch. I have been looking at a Diamond infinate edge for him but it is still just a bit too big and heavy. The cruzer lite fits nicely in size right between the atomic and infinate edge. He really likes it so far and seems much more comfortable now shooting left. The accessories on the bow are decent quality much better than the atomic. Only thing i changed was to switch out the peep. Going to get his 5 yr old sister shooting the atomic now, since she is a righty.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just bought one of these for my boy who just turned 8. Great looking little bow. He is a lefty and it has been tough to find a left handed bow that would fit him. I started him on a right hand Diamond Atomic. He shot it OK but being left eye dominant he had to wear a patch one his right eye in order to shoot. I had looked at a diamond Infinite Edge but it is still just physically too big for him and he has trouble holding it up. The Cruzer Lite is a perfect sized bow right in between the Atomic and Infinite Edge. He already seems quite comfortable shooting left. He should be able to use it for a few years. All the accessories that came with it are decent, better than the Atomic. The only thing I did was switch out the peep. Now I can give the Atomic to his 5 year old sister who is actually a righty.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought one of these for my boy who just turned 8. Great looking little bow. He is a lefty and it has been tough to find a left handed bow that would fit him. I started him on a right hand Diamond Atomic. He shot it OK but being left eye dominant he had to wear a patch one his right eye in order to shoot. I had looked at a diamond Infinite Edge but it is still just physically too big for him and he has trouble holding it up. The Cruzer Lite is a perfect sized bow right in between the Atomic and Infinite Edge. He already seems quite comfortable shooting left. He should be able to use it for a few years. All the accessories that came with it are decent, better than the Atomic. The only thing I did was switch out the peep. Now I can give the Atomic to his 5 year old sister who is actually a righty.
I did the same thing as far as the peep goes. That's really the only thing I could complain about. The peep that comes with these is not the easiest to use, didn't really understand the three strand thing. Glad to hear you're having good luck with it as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What age do you think an average size boy would outgrow this bow? My son is 7 and we have looked at it several times. Trying to decide whether to pick one up or not.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What age do you think an average size boy would outgrow this bow? My son is 7 and we have looked at it several times. Trying to decide whether to pick one up or not.
Sorry just seeing this now. You've probably already gotten something by now but if not as mentioned above I think the Cruzer Lite could be shot into adult hood if someone wanted to and that's no b.s.. it's got reasonable draw length and up to 45 lb draw weight. Several people mentioned above that their wives were shooting them. I have no complaints or regrets about buying it and I think your kid would love it.?Great starter bow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts