Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the setup, its a wallow 5 miles behind locked gate straight up the side of a mountain on public land. It would be a brutal walk that very few, if any, would make. There are at least 5 different Bears frequenting the wallow, one a beautiful Cinnamon phase, and at least one Cougar. Trail cam caught some great pics and videos of the bears and one of the Cougar. Videos are 6MB and I don't know how to post them but here is one of the Cinnamon Phase sitting in the wallow. I have a great video of him rolling around in it and one of him exiting toward the camera. I am sure it is impossible to tell but how old and how big do you think he is? He would make a beautiful rug but where he is hanging out there is a pretty good chance he could live another few years to get bigger. Btw, I will be sitting in a stand over that wallow in 2 weeks trying to score my first Bear. I may go after him with the Recurve to boot. :darkbeer:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
you need to put something out there for scale, a 5 gallon bucket or any object you know the exact size of.

small ears means big bear as a rule but how big is tough to judge without something to scale.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
he looks like an alright sized bear look at his ears head and nose if you have any pics that show his full body lets see him it is kinda hard when he is half way in the water but he looks like a good bear I would hurry and hunt though before to long they will be moving around getting the last berries and in the last two days we have had snow in the mountains needless to say my bear season was cut short...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TTT, anyone see the videos? Any thoughts on shooter or not?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would shoot him for his color because unless some one else is the shooter I do not see color phase bears:cry:. If you want size he is ok but those standards are for were I live and I do not know the size of the bears in your area. I say if you would be happy with him go for it

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I'm a terrible judge of bears. But, that one looks plenty big enough for me to shoot. Seems to have a good noggin on it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
TTT, anyone see the videos? Any thoughts on shooter or not?
I'm no expert but I've had a lot of experience with bears. I've been baiting bears for a long time and usually do pretty good at judging them because I get to watch them up close. I would shoot that bear. He is a good size bear. You could tell by the crease in its forehead. The crease develops when a mature bear's skull grows to its max or fully mature potential.

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
dented forehead,rolls when he shakes...i would shoot him,,,hard to tell but i would guess 300 easy

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If you want a good judge of his size find a good track of the front paw the width of the track plus an inch is how many feet long from nose to tail give or take a little .

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I will not guess age but for size he is just under 6ft from nose to tail. I don't know weight as I have never weighed one but if you are by your self he is not coming out in one piece:) unless you can get an atv to him.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
hard to tell weight since he comes straight at the cam. I would definately shoot him and if i was guessing I'd say 180-200.

BEAUTIFUL coat love that color

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will not guess age but for size he is just under 6ft from nose to tail. I don't know weight as I have never weighed one but if you are by your self he is not coming out in one piece:) unless you can get an atv to him.
2 buddies and a couple of horses but will likely quarter him on the spot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
He looks 600 if he's an ounce. I hear hunting over wallows can sometimes be successful for bears.:BrownBear: Where in reality are you located?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
That's a nice sized bear. That's all I can tell. The belly isn't waddlin low and it doesn't look like it's super tall. 350-400, but without something to compare him to, you'd have to be an expert to call it--Like Jim Shockey

I just got back from a hunt in Foleyet Ontario and I saw a sow that was >350 and she looked massive, fatter than this bear but probably not nearly as tall. They are hard to size that's for sure

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If you really want to know please post the width of the track as I said above and I will give you the closest guess out of any you have got.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts