Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big do you guys think this bear is? I was thinking 350ish. The stump is 24" in dia.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Big ears small bear, smal ears big bear. Make a triangle using the distance between the ears as the base and from the ears to the nose for the sides. The closer the base is to being equal to the sides the bigger the bear. Long sides is a small bear. Some bear will have long heads. Also place a stick on the ground that measures 6 feet. I have 5' and 6' marked, a big sow will not be over 5' long so any bear 5.5 to 6 feet is a good bear. The trick is telling a nice sow from a young male. My guess on your bear is around 300lbs. but I am no expert. If that bear is not a sow it is big enough for me. Also a big bear will have a stub nose not long like a dog. A big bears head will have a crease down the middle to the nose which is musel on the head. Bear are very hard to judge.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Not an ounce over 250.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a hard time judging them when I'm sitting on the bait and they're only 15 yds away. My guess from a pic woundn't be worth much!! I'd shoot, weigh later.,

·
Premium Member
26,855 Posts
Big enough for an arrow,Good Luck,Bear Sausage on the Bbq,Looks great to me!

·
Registered
14,717 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
First of all, sorry don't mean to offend, but that bear is lucky if he is half of 350lbs, my guess would be 150ish, most bear are not that big. Don't always look at the ears not reliable, here in manitoba our western bears have huge ears, we have killed several giants 7+ foot and they had giant ears as well, but in the east the bears have smaller ears, last evening I hunted 10 miles from my house(eastern province) and had 10 bears at the bait at the same time, one of the smallest bears had tiny ears and was super stocky looking but only a 4 footer.

·
Premium Member
26,855 Posts
We have 3 Bear Hitting our bait at our camp,The Big lad is twice the size of the Barrell with long Legs He is Pushing 400 lbs,This Bear is not 350 ish,But is a Great eatin Size I Wouls say 215 lbs maybe 225,he is about the same size as the 2 other ones on our Property,Still a Great Bear,Take Him,He will Weigh in the Crock Pot around 350 lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts