Archery Talk Forum banner

Bear Hunt 2008

1092 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  akmike
It was my first time Bear hunting, and I decided to use my bow. It was the opening evening of the 2008 Black Bear season in northern Minnesota. At about 530 this Black Bear walked into my bait station and ate for about what seemed like 15-20 minutes before I could get the perfect shot. Finally he took that extra step to come over the crib to give me a quartering away shot. I couldn't have asked for anything better. I double lunged him and got the top of the heart. He went about 15 yards.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure how much it weighted because we never got a chance to do that. Soon after I shot it, it started pooring rain so we were trying to get to the taxidermy and to the butcher as fast as we could. It didn't have a chance to put on a lot of fat since i shot him so early in the season, but he was 78 inches long 6 1/2 ft long nose to tail and he sure wasn't easy to drag out of the woods :) My buddy who has been hunting bears for several years now says it was 250 - 300 but i really have no idea.

Good luck to all on your hunts and thanks for the congrats

· Registered
989 Posts
Nice bear - fine trophy - great job - congratulations :thumbs_up:):darkbeer:

· Registered
4 Posts
yep

thank you ... yes it was quite an experience for me :) although i would have to say i was very nervous

It can get pretty exciting especially when they try to get in the stand with you! I have smacked several bears across the snout with my arrow trying to get them off the ladder. But it gets very exciting when a grizz comes in to the bait. Black bears just appear but you can hear a grizz coming for a long time. They just thunder in like they own the place!

Congrats again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.