Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I got a Kill Tag this year finally after 9 years! I'm going to use my bow the bait is set up 25 yards away. I'm using a 2015 Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 70lbs 28inch draw Easton FMJ 300's now I'm not sure what I should use for a broad head!? I've gotten a lot of mixed answers between fixed & mechanical!

I personally thinking mechanical but then what?

The 3 blade swhacker?
Grim Reaper?
ect....

I guess I'm just looking for some confidence building in which broad head I should pick. If you shot a bear with a bow tell me what you used & how you thought it performed!
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I used a muzzy on two and it did a great job. I like Slick Tricks now, they fly good for me. I would use a 3 or 4 blade to open up a hole, bears are notorious for poor blood trails. That being said they give up pretty easy, I watched both of mine fall.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Obviously, your talking Black Bears.

My only experience has been one bear in Alberta. 57 pounds at 29" with a Muzzy 125 head. Hard to know for sure in the dark, but I think it was a about a 45 yard recovery. For sure, I heard the death moan. On the same trip my BIL and nephew killed with nearly identical set-ups. My nephew even used my bow and arrows.

Our impressions were that they died pretty easily. Seems that the problem is, that due to the thick fur, they don't leave a lot of blood.

I've never used a mechanical, so I'm no help there.

Don't neglect the Thermacell.

Best of luck with your choices and your hunt.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Iv shot a couple bears up there. Both times i used a fixed blade, but that's all I shoot. I went with Magnus stinger on the last Bear I shot, before that it was a Muzzy. Both were very effective, next time I go it will be Magnus again for sure. I'm sure there are some good mech heads out there for Bear, I have just never tried them, never seen the need, but if your lookin for a good fixed Blade I would definitely check out the new Magnus Hornet.

·
Vendor
25,429 Posts
The anatomy of a bear is a little different than deer. If you move the bait to 15 yards and the stand to no more than 15' It will give you the double lung opportunity. I used the Grim Reaper 1 3/8" and got a 6'11" nose to tail 19 3/4 skull. Bear only went 30 yards and was dead in 5 seconds. The broadhead took out both lungs and the top of the heart.

Most video's show the hunter low in a stand 10- 15 feet. Bait piles are usually less than 20 yards. Bait is put in a position to get the bear broadside when feeding. Hope this helps ya get a big one.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The anatomy of a bear is a little different than deer. If you move the bait to 15 yards and the stand to no more than 15' It will give you the double lung opportunity. I used the Grim Reaper 1 3/8" and got a 6'11" nose to tail 19 3/4 skull. Bear only went 30 yards and was dead in 5 seconds. The broadhead took out both lungs and the top of the heart.

Most video's show the hunter low in a stand 10- 15 feet. Bait piles are usually less than 20 yards. Bait is put in a position to get the bear broadside when feeding. Hope this helps ya get a big one.
Thank for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts