Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is Bear Kodiak worth? My Dad has one and this is all the info written on the bow.
On one side it says Bear GLASS POWERED Kodiak
On the other side it has the Bear emblem and reads Bear Archery Company Grayling Michigan. Below that are some patents followed by Canada 1953.
On the side it has a number written-5L4207 60" 45 #.
What does the 60" signify? The bow is 56" unstrung.
What string length should I use? Will fast-flight hurt it or should I stick with Dacron?
It's got a plastic flipper rest stuck on it. Is this the best rest for this bow?
And I'm assuming 45# is the draw weight at 28" of draw.

Thanks,
Marty

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I've answered some of my questions through a search on the internet.
The 60" means the total lenght of the bow, right?
45# is at 28", right?
I should use Dacron.
I want to take the plastic rest off and put back on it what it originally had. Was it the bristles or leather?
Should I be afraid to shoot it?
What string length should I have made for it?
Does anyone know what kind of info the serial # gives?
Thanks,
Marty

·
Lowered expectations
15,563 Posts
You got most of it right.

Most of these bows are shot with a rug-type rest with a leather side plate. But you can use a simple plastic/rubber flipper rest (especially if you want touse plastic vanes on yourarrows), just making sure that the arrow has some sort of side plate and doesn't rub against the bow itself.

String should be 12-14 strand Dacron, 56" unstretched. It will stretch about an inch under tension. Or you could use 57" Fastflite if you're willing to risk it. (I do on my Bears).

Check it over thoroughly for cracks and warps and other damage. If it's in good condition it should be good to shoot.

You can find it's age from the serial number, but you'll have to do some more digging. Try www.stickbow.com for a starting point.

As for the value, there are a lot for sale on eBay, so look there for an idea. I'd guess they go for $100-125 if in good shape. More if in excellent condition.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Toddbow.............Don't ever use Fast Flight on these older bows. It will cut the tips right off of them.

The one you have is a 1965 per the serial #5L4207

You have one of the rarest of the Kodiaks. I think this particular model was made in 64,65,66.

I have the 1966 model, and mine is the 64" model

If the bow has no holes where sights were attached, or twists in the limbs, it will actually be worth in the $250 range.

Not that many show up on ebay either.

Hang onto this one it is a dandy. It will also shoot like a dream.

Shoot it off a bearhair rest and leather side plate that was mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps. Range Rat.:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Range Rat,
I shot this bow a few times and enjoyed it (even though I can't hit what I'm looking at). I went to Bass Pro and got some bear hair, a leather glove and a recurve stringer earlier today. I don't think I will shoot the bow anymore until I can get a Dacron string made. The bow is in very good shape with no holes anywhere, just a few scratches.
I just looked at the link Stash gave me and thought it should be a 63 to 66 model because it has the Bear Coin.
I don't know why I'm so excited on shooting this thing, I don't think I'll be able to hit anything with it.:)
Thanks to both of you (Stash and Range Rat),
Marty

·
Registered
626 Posts
Toddbow.........It's a 65, because all Bear bows made from 64-69 used the year as the first # in the serial#. These are the easiest one to date. The others are more of a challenge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts