Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions for me please? Im looking for easton gamgetter arrows for a 55lb bear montana longbow. Easton's chart says a 2013, for a light arrow and 1916 for a heavier arrow. Now, I shoot a 28" (usually with a 100 grain tip) arrow, and I have someone else suggesting a 2016 arrow.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I already shoot apredator recurve 55lb with 2117's and Im guessing those may be little too heavy for this bow.

Any help would be greatly apprected by anyone who has any experience shooting this bow with easton alum. arrows.

Thanks,
Sincerely
John

·
Registered
163 Posts
2117`s are like shooting cedar tress threw your bow. once you get some lighter arrows you`ll realize what a mistake the 2117`s were to begin with. trust me, been there,done that. i now shoot carbons spined at 500. much better value for me. and my shooting has improved also. and yes, this was with a montana long bow a few yrs ago.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I don't think 2117's are that bad. However, a lighter equivalent would be 2018's, which are what I shoot. You should download Stu Millers Dynamic Spine Calculator. It helps a ton.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
At your draw-weight and draw-length, 2117s with 100 grn heads will likely be a bit stiff. However, you can tweak the shaft spine and probably obtain decent flight. 2117s were a very popular shaft size at one time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The 2117 I currently shoot out of my predator recurve, I was nto going to use these in the montana, only try them (see what they would do). They shoot great, i would ot change a thing. But the montana longbow I'm guessing needs the lighter arrow. I was looking at maybe using eastons xx75 gamegetter in a 1916, it's lighter, alittle smaller, than the 2117, but still has a little weight to it. I want to use it for target shooting and hunting

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I have talked to a few people who have shot this particular bow and have told me for the poundage, the 2016's would shoot really well. So I am going to give them a try.

Thanks for all your help!

Sincerely
John

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have a 55# bear montana, my draw length is about 28.5". i use 31" .400 carbon fiber arrows with 100 grain tips. i've played around a bit with arrow length and tip weight for tuning, and this setup seems about perfect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm shooting a Bear Kodiak 45# recurve, and guide says 2016's with a 100 FP @ 27". I am using a 145 gr FP with my arrows at 29.5" with a total arrow wt of 500 gr with great accuracy.

The arrow guide is just that, a guide as you can try other arrows to see what works and doesn't work for your bow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input, it is really appreciated.

I decided to go wiith the 2016, wih a 100 grain tip. Seems to be a pretty good setup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts