Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Work to Live Live to Hunt
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a heck of a time keeping the cams on the tree this year. Bears were ripping them off twisting them sideways, poked a hole in one lens and ripped off the sensor cover on another exposing the cam to the weather. I'm a 3 1/2 hour drive from where I have these in PA so frequent checking isn't a possibility and when I find out that a cam I had out for 4-5 weeks was on the ground after the first week it's pretty disappointing.

What are some things that have work for others? I run these on state land so I'm not supposed to put lag bolts etc. in the trees. Currently I was just using the supplied nylon strap secured as tight as I could and then did a pipe-through and had a cheap-o cable lock. The cable lock saved me two cams as the bears broke 2 cams loose from the tree, but couldn't walk off with them due to the cable.

I was thinking gluing/taping thumb tacks to the outside of the cam as a deterrent, kinda like the porcupine effect they might mess with it once, but not twice? Not sure how much a bear/security box would do as I'm not supposed to bolt it to the trees and the lens, sensor and flash are still exposed.

Any past experiences from people running cams in bear country?

Thanks

jt

·
Registered
974 Posts
there arent bear where i live, but i have seen people use security boxes with pythons and then they attach nails all over the security box. i guess it cant hurt

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
What kind of camera do you have, i got bear safe steel lock boxes for Cuddy Captures and ScoutGuards that will keep those bears from destroying your cams and they have holes thru them to run a python cable thru to lock it to the tree, thus no lag bolts needed.

·
Work to Live Live to Hunt
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

I'm using Stealthcams right now. I was thinking about investing in Python cables to be a better way to secure it to the tree.

Those nails are pretty crazy looking, but could work

1 - 6 of 6 Posts