Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bear story that some of you may be interested in, Here gos,

Last Friday Aug 29th I noticed that when I came in my driveway when I looked to my left to check out my deer feeder that it had been tipped over. So I investigated but didn't see anything to let me know what might have tipped it over so I ignored it for a while. The next day I went to put some more food in it and was walking around and noticed a puke pile, hmmmm. I know what makes those. I was thinking cool I have a bear hanging around. I decided to get one of my camaras out there and see if I can get some pictures of this bear. I went out the next morning which at this time is Monday Spet. 1st to check my camara. As I started getting closer to my camara I noticed up the trail this black blob coming towrds me and I realized that a bear was coming in my direction and it was very pretty close. I backed out of there and ran back to the house. Since it was opening day for bear I decided to grab my bow and go after it. Well I got in the woods and then decided that this was crazy and went to my camara and retrieved it. All the pictures had been taken so I went and had them developed and when I got them back I was very suprised. Not only did I have a bear but I had a monster of bear in my yard. I would say and friends too that this bear is 300lbs plus. So I'm thinking I can get some more pictures and put my camara back out. The first night went by and nothing, not even a deer, no pictures taken. I was like hmmmmm, so I decided to leave out another night. So Wedn. morning I retrieved the camara and again it had all pictures taken. So I had them developed and basicaly the whole role was taken up by this bear. So last night when I came home I did my usual looking up at the feeder and noticed something odd, a bear with two paws and it's head sticking out of my feeder. I was thinking to myself wholly cow it's 3:45pm in the afternoon and that bear is right there. I get out of my truck go in the house and grab my bow. I come out and work myself about 35 yards from the bear and feeder. The bear looked at me a couple of times but really didn't care that I was there. I waited for the perfect shot and of course I was pumped and battling the fever, I draw back and there was the shot, release, smack, right into my feeder, Crap I missed. The bear took off about ten feet and then stopped turned around and looked at me and shook it's head from side to side. I was @#$% I don't have another arrow with me. The bear came back to the feeder and started to eat some of the corn. So I went back in the house put the bow away and brought out the kids so they could watch the bear for a little while. I brought the kids back in and then I grabbed my 35 mm camara and went back out and took pictures of the bear sitting inside of my feeder, that was a funny site. Then the bear wondered off. After all that I called my buddy and he came over a little while after and I showed him my arrow still stuck in the feeder and it actually had black hair on the broadhead, no blood though. We were taking the arrow out when I looked up the trail here comes the bear again. Holly crap, we both backed out of there and decided to try one more time with the bow. So I basicaly get to where I was before and am trying to ready myself for the shot. Here comes the bear and I'm waiting for the right shot. I draw a couple of times but had to back off when the bear moved out of position. While we were standing there we heard another loud noise come from the right and looked and here comes another bear. Well this is the big one, he looks at us and I'm really shaking now and so is my friend. I was waiting for him to give me a good shot and I drew on him a couple of times and had to let off. Finally he started to give me a shot when I heard a noise to my left and I looked and couldn't beleive what I was seeing, another bear. This bear was smaller and assumed it was the female but not sure. She came right out in the open area (lawn) and walked broad side from me and I could have had a great shot. I was waiting for Mr. big though, he finally gave me a broad side shot and I did happen to notice that there were a couple of very small branches between me and the bear. My friend was telling me to shoot in my ear and finally couldn't take the preasure anymore and let the arrow go. Well it did exactly what I thought it would do, smack right into the branch flung the arrow up and down and it hit the bear that way. The bear whipped around and looked at himself and then at me and then ran. I knew I missed but we went and checked anyway, I missed. The amazing thing is this all happened within city limits. I have decided that this is to much and to close to the house and have cleaned up all the food and hope they will go away. I have three kids at the house and two of them have to walk down the driveway to catch the bus. By the way shooting at the bears didn't scare them much because this morning one of them was sitting in the feeder again.

Sorry for such a long story but I just wanted to share such a great and humbling expierence.

·
Registered
732 Posts
This has got to be a joke, no one could possibly be this stupid.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
bikehike,
I read your bear story and then moved on. But then I got to thinking that I had read it wrong; so I came back to it! I can't believe you were so fool hardy as to go after a bear in your own yard, in the city limits of a town! Especially with only ONE arrow!

Do you have even the foggiest of clues how fast a bear can travel, especially when he has been poked by a little point stick and made mad?

Also, a wounded bear or any other animal is an extremely Dangerous animal! He might not have gone after you, but he might have gotten ahold of an Unsuspecting neighbor!

I think that there are several things that you need to learn:

1. Any True and Competent Hunter will make sure that he makes a clean kill with the First Shot.

2. A Competent hunter will Never take a shot if there are obstructions between him and the Kill Zone. (IE: twigs or branches)

3. A Competent Hunter will never take a shot at an animal with the chance of just wounding it, especially if it will place himself or others in Danger!

4. A Competent and True Hunter Never just takes One Bullet or arrow with him to kill a preditary animal. He will go out with more than one, just in case he puts an animal down but it is not dispatched with the first shot! It's the Safe and Humane thing to do!

I bet if the Law Enforcement Personnel in your City knew that you were shooting at bears in you yard that they would gladly give you 3 hots and a cot in their local grey bar motel! And that would be after they let you stay in the Rubber Room Hotel for at least 72 hours!

Then, I bet that the Local Game Department would like to talk to you about the loss of hunting priveledges for the rest of your life! Harassment of wildlife is a serious crime ( and that's what you did by shooting at those bears and just thumping them with minor wounds!).

If you feel that the Bears are a Hazard, Call the Police and the Game Department in your area and have them come out and remove the problem bears!

Man, you Have Got To Use That Fat Head of Yours For More Than Just a Hatrack! I Personally Feel that there is Nothing Funny in anything you wrote in your story! And I think you should have Criminal Charges brought against you for bringing your kids out to watch a bear that you had already shot at and slightly wounded in the head! Talk about Criminal Stupidity! You need to be horse whipped and made to wear an 8foot by 8 foot sign that states that you are Criminally Stupid and need to be removed from the Gene Pool!

Damn! People like you that profess to be archers and hunters really Torque me off! Especially when you Stupidly put innocent people and children at risk! You also Feed PETA with more ammunition to use against us Law Abiding and Conscientious Hunters!

Dick

P.S. At This time I would like to apologize to Every Member of the Forum for this persons stupidity and for my tirade against him! You didn't deserve to have to read any of this! I'm very sorry!
:eek:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree, it is a lack of respect for the prey that has the animal rights people on our ass. This was probably written by an animal rights activist to give this most excellent forum of archery intellect a bad name. Please if this post is true use your head and think about the consequences of your actions before you take on a bear. Please be aware that you need to be a skilled archer and hunter to effectively take prey with a bow and arrow, not a pea brained ill equipment whelp. Anyone else care to pile on feel free.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're an idiot. You deserve to be bear crap by now, and if you keep that up you will be...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Joe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does your states Hunters Safety course teach ethical shots? Were you paying attention?

·
CottonHeadedNinnyMuggins
1,244 Posts
This has got to be a joke...At least I hope it's a joke...

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Why drag up this crap... It was PETA B.S... or an incredibly stupid individual... either way... who gives a ........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts