Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a deal/trade for a Bear take down bow, hope to have it by the end of next week. Anyone here have one or know anything about them? Cheers Roscoe:)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Ok if that is the style you now have more to look at. That style has 3 major variants. Grayling made (1969-197x) early Gainseville (1980's) current Gainseville (1990 to now)

Any of these have some value some much more than others. Again, A pic or two would go along way in getting you good info.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
When I was a kid, a Bear Custom Kodiak T/D was my dream bow --- even more than the "modern" compounds which were coming into vogue.

Of course, when I got back into archery Bear was just producing the Custom Takedown Supreme (I'd still love to find one, one of these days), so I was really pleased when I managed to come across a "green stripe" early Gainsville bow for trade:

PICT4533.jpg

It cleaned up nicely:

WFA-BearTakedownT2-strung.jpg

and I was motivated to make a case for it:

wfa-bear-custom-kodiak-td-case-2-open.jpg

Various threads on the bow and the case here previously.... Currently debating about getting a second set of limbs, and I'd love to get a magnesium A-handle.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey WillAdams, you may have motivated me to make a case for mine when it arrives. Cheers Roscoe

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah, the Fred Bear Signature edition was way over-the-top. I'd actually be interested in one if they'd offered it w/o the gold-plating (too much bling for my taste). Quite the investment, there was one up for sale from the Martin Archery collection or some such on eBay.

Here's the thread from back when I first made mine: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1335300

Things I'd do different:

- apply corner protectors immediately
- easier to apply finish
- no dividers --- I'm thinking a fitted, removable wooden box
- make the arrow holder removable so that it could be installed after making / cutting the box in two --- maybe modify it so that it could serve as a combination quiver and bow holder out in the field.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts