Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given what I think is a Bear (has the Bear button on the riser) Whitetail bow. I have researched pictures on the internet to come up with this conclusion, because the guy that had it before me had tried to camo it and when they pulled the camo back off it pulled all the decals and everything off.

He has since died and it sat in a barn for a while by the looks of things. The string is starting to break, and the cable is showing signs of wear.

All I wanted to do is clean it up and have it for a conversation piece, but my apple economy press will not go out enough to put it in to take off the tension so I can pull the string and cable.

So first question: any ideas on taking the string and cable off?

second question: any ideas on where to get a cable? If I can find that, I was going to get with bucknasty and have him make a string for me. That is after I do a lot of clean up of the limbs and riser.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
are there any markings on it at all? does the "cable" have metal teardrops on it to hold the string?

is it is that old, Dacron strings... very cheap

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't find any markings on it at all, not even the serial number. It does have the "old" metal tear drops for the string to attach to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the help of my wife, I was able to push down on the limbs against the floor and she unhooked the string from the cable for me. There isn't enough tension on the cable to cause it to whip back. It has been fully disassembled and I have started cleaning it.

Since it is just going to be a conversation piece I think I will reuse the cables and get a new string made.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
A lot of the Bear Whitetails are finding a second life as recurves. The risers make a great recurve riser with an ILF adapter.

The old teardrop style cables didn't need a bow press. They removed the string with a line attached to each teardrop. Then they would step on the line and pull up on the riser to get slack in the string. It's a lot like the stringers that recurve archers use. The line needed enough slack to allow the limbs to fully relax. It's a lot easier and safer than pushing against the kitchen floor.

Allen

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
A lot of the Bear Whitetails are finding a second life as recurves. The risers make a great recurve riser with an ILF adapter.

The old teardrop style cables didn't need a bow press. They removed the string with a line attached to each teardrop. Then they would step on the line and pull up on the riser to get slack in the string. It's a lot like the stringers that recurve archers use. The line needed enough slack to allow the limbs to fully relax. It's a lot easier and safer than pushing against the kitchen floor.

Allen
You can also use a bowstring that is a little longer. Ive seen cables listed on Ebay all the time. Of course you will need a crimper to put the loop in the end but those can be procured from any tool distributor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts