Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i decided for fun to make a bow out of two leaf springs, mounted to a riser, like a takedown bow.
this project is still in the conceptual stage only cos i wanna make sure i don't grievously injure myself etc. by not thinking everything through, which is where you guys come in...

okay so, would a riser made out of hardwood hold up or would some kind of metal be better? i have access to materials and equipment to make either.
hand shock is likely to be a massive issue what are some ways i might be able to cut down or minimse on this?
also, one key difference between this and a regular takedown bow is that i intend to use three bolts on each "limb" fixing it to the riser, the bolts will be placed in a vetical line up the center of the limb and riser.
and the final consideration was that i am still weighing up whether to fix the leaf spring limbs facing towards me, for a td longbow, or away from me for a td recurve. what would be the best option?
i have my hunches that if i try and do the recurve thing with a wooden riser, i am going to cause an implosion of the riser.
anyway, advice advice, and is there anything i have missed here?

thanks.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean by towards you for a longbow. I love the idea though. Very smart IMO. I would say go for it, about the only advice I can give you. Tillering is gonna kinda suck ;). Just post pictures so we can all see when your finished or if it explodes and takes a hand off or something! :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just mean that the curve of the spring would be curved towards me, so more of a longbow than a recurve sort of ting....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ballista...? hmmm interesting idea. do you think that would work better, or just be cool?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
obviously it would be cool....

i was just thinking of how you could draw a bow with leaf spring limbs, and decided that a come along sounded necessary, which suddenly sounded ballista-ish.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I was a kid we made a crossbow from a leaf spring. My dad had all the swedging tools for the cable work (1/4" for the "string"...). We ended up using a pelican hook for a trigger and the bolt was a piece of 3/8" rebar. We only shot it once, but it was memorable... :eek:.

·
Registered
44 Posts
how much is the aproximate draw on it? i made a plans for a ballista useing em and my dad helped with some formulas but i will shoot a 4-6 pound punkin 200-300'
the springs were off a ford 450 superduty

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ideally i wanna be getting, like, 29" of draw out of it. that's why i thought it best to make it using 2 leafs as limbs bolted to a riser. if i make the riser long (but not so long that it becomes structurally weak) then i figure i'll get more leverage against the leaf springs, and be able to yank 'em back far enough.
build is going to be awhile off yet, as i want to make sure to get everything theorised correctly first, and minimise any muckups.
plus i normally bare-finger, but i think i might get a tab for this one... lol.
any ideas on some good woods for a riser?
oh, and also i've been thinking it might be a good idea, where the leaf springs will bolt on, to run bolts right through the riser, with nuts tightened against the other end... how does that sound?
i know this is gonna be heavy but has anybody else ever tried this, or know what sort of poundage i'm likely to be looking at?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i've seen warfs with ski limbs, but nothing with leaf springs.

how do you plan to get the draw weight under 200#?
ski limbs.. that'd be cool. at this stage i'm thinkking i might have to draw up a pattern, and shave the springs down with and angle grinder or something, to lighten them up. either that or just chuck 'em on and go....
yeeeuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhhhh *whip-crack* my fingers !!!!! ahhhhhh!!!!!
but plan a sounds better.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good tip! also that reminded me a friend of a friend made one once but not a takedown... not quite sure what he did, but i'll try and find that out as well.
bad news as far as pics go, might have to back burner till after Christmass but we'll get there anyways... lol
keep advice coming whoever's got any... especially safety issues!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, after all that, looks like this one is not gonna happen. sorry, guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts