Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
bowtech Revolt X, black gold ascent verdict, CBE tek hybrid pro, prime Nexus 6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at getting into professional/competitive archery, I've been shooting for about 11 years and really seriously started to get in the target world this last year. I am also an archery technician, so I have support from my local shop to get in to it. I'm 19 and don't know exactly where to go. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51,122 Posts
Keep your day job to pay for it LOL. There's no money in it except for a very, very few at the top of national and international shooters and they need a source of income.
Seriously start at your local levels, clubs, state shoots. The hope maybe you can advance to some national shoots, maybe pick up a sponser. But that takes some winning, dedication, lots and lots of time, practice. You will need to live and breath it. Even then the odds are stacked against you.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Shoot in tournaments. There is a big difference in being a good league shooter and being a great tournament shooter. It's not the equipment, learn how to set-up your equipment for you. Find a form that is naturally repeatable under stress. Find a qualified coach who will point out the flaws in your form and how to fix them.
Get a full time job that allows you time off for tournaments and supports you.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I am looking at getting into professional archery, I've been shooting for about 11 years and really seriously started to get in the target world this last year. I'm 19 and don't know exactly where to go. Thanks in advance!
How to turn Pro in Archery:

1) Get a bow - Complete
2) Learn how to shoot it - Complete
3) Go to local leagues/tourneys/money shoots to see how you stack up - <---------<<< You are Here
4) Go to National events and register as a Pro and compete -

Meanwhile, keep your day job until you start winning big $$$ events on a regular basis.... I know quite a few people who compete in the Pro Classes and every single one of them has a day job. These folks are amazing shooters.... but so is everyone else who competes at that level.

I truly wish you luck on your journey. If it's your dream, put in the work!!!!

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Is there a Pro in your area? If so talk to them & see what shoots are coming up & what is required to be able to shoot in them. Some shoots you don't need to be a Pro to shoot them & some you need to be NFAA Pro & they can help you to become an NFAA Pro.
It is a hard track but it is do able.

Reactions: Tbillings8

·
Registered
732 Posts
Lol… can you just show up and pay the entry fee and shoot in the pro division?
Yeah in most cases you can. The only difference a lot of times is the entry fee for pros is pretty high, to support the payout. Think 400-500 dollars instead of 50 for a standard class.

Responding to the OP; I would start by trying to figure out what style of shooting you'd like to do, and then start attending some shoots organized by the bigger archery organizations. The only one I'm fairly familiar with is the ASA; they host a lot of 3D shoots around the year, and personally I think they're a bit more fun than some of the others.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I am looking at getting into professional archery, I've been shooting for about 11 years and really seriously started to get in the target world this last year. I'm 19 and don't know exactly where to go. Thanks in advance!
Back in the day there were a small handful of legit archers on here but it’s an extremely rare occurrence now. You’ll spot the difference pretty fast. Take all of our advice with caution and don’t let us get you down.

What’s your plan post High School? Are you jumping into the workforce or heading off to a university or smaller college? If going to school, does it have an archery team? If so, did you do the research on how to try out or get on the team. What’s the equipment requirements? Do the research.
If the workforce is your future, do you have a chance of a legit pro shop sponsorship or shop shooter option? Does the shop offer a legit coach or pro shooter to mentor and coach you? Not a shop groupie but a legit pro to mentor you and invest in your future.
What is your financial ability? Traveling and shooting weekend tournaments is not cheap let alone the equipment for initial setup without sponsors. It’s not always expensive to shoot pro level but it will get costly the farther you go down this journey.
It’s going to take some raw relent and serious commitment but you can do it if the commitment is followed daily and you have the financial backing. Most never follow through on the commitment or lack the funds to move beyond local shoots. I know I lack the daily drive to shoot exceptionally well during the stress of a tournament. Standing shoulder to shoulder shooting under timed pressure is a mental game of its own, let alone my slightly above average shooting ability.
Life can be an amazing journey and yours is just starting. Don’t let those that couldn’t prevent you from growing and becoming better.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
It's sort of one of those things where when you are good enough to earn a living at it, companies will seek you out; Earning a living at archery competitions is like all other parts of archery: consistency and repeatability-- you have to in big events consistently and repeat it year after year.

You also have to work on your "presentation" skills- Your "make a living" shooters don't get to just shoot, you have to be a great representative of the product, and have a fairly squeaky clean social media presence. Actually pulling the string is just a smalll part of the job.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
There is very little money in the actual shooting part, the prize money for winning. It's other avenues where you'll make the money.

Google ASA or IBO (assuming you are talking 3D), find the closest national shoot and go, see how you do against the pros, or even semi-pros. You can register as pro, it just takes some money.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
... really seriously started to get in the target world this last year. I'm 19 and don't know exactly where to go.
When you're good enough to turn pro, they'll find you.

You don't just decide to turn pro, and jump in. I guess you could, but you're just asking for heartache, getting beat constantly, embarrassment, and losing a bunch of money.

When you are actually good enough, not just "want to", the opportunities will start to present themselves.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Keep your day job to pay for it LOL. There's no money in it except for a very, very few at the top of national and international shooters and they need a source of income.
Seriously start at your local levels, clubs, state shoots. The hope maybe you can advance to some national shoots, maybe pick up a sponser. But that takes some winning, dedication, lots and lots of time, practice. You will need to live and breath it. Even then the odds are stacked against you.
What Dale said here, plus get ready to really test your nervous system. that's why I prefer at my age to compete against myself in the backyard and basement ranges. Being of a younger age, go for it or later in life you will possibly regret it, plus it can only make you a better archery. Remember there is a monetary side this also.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,122 Posts

·
Registered
bowtech Revolt X, black gold ascent verdict, CBE tek hybrid pro, prime Nexus 6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back in the day there were a small handful of legit archers on here but it’s an extremely rare occurrence now. You’ll spot the difference pretty fast. Take all of our advice with caution and don’t let us get you down.

What’s your plan post High School? Are you jumping into the workforce or heading off to a university or smaller college? If going to school, does it have an archery team? If so, did you do the research on how to try out or get on the team. What’s the equipment requirements? Do the research.
If the workforce is your future, do you have a chance of a legit pro shop sponsorship or shop shooter option? Does the shop offer a legit coach or pro shooter to mentor and coach you? Not a shop groupie but a legit pro to mentor you and invest in your future.
What is your financial ability? Traveling and shooting weekend tournaments is not cheap let alone the equipment for initial setup without sponsors. It’s not always expensive to shoot pro level but it will get costly the farther you go down this journey.
It’s going to take some raw relent and serious commitment but you can do it if the commitment is followed daily and you have the financial backing. Most never follow through on the commitment or lack the funds to move beyond local shoots. I know I lack the daily drive to shoot exceptionally well during the stress of a tournament. Standing shoulder to shoulder shooting under timed pressure is a mental game of its own, let alone my slightly above average shooting ability.
Life can be an amazing journey and yours is just starting. Don’t let those that couldn’t prevent you from growing and becoming better.
Thanks you for the advice! I actually am an Archery Technician at a a shop, and have the support there. I know a few pros thay could help me. Thanks again, that's really helpful

·
Unregistered User
1,742 Posts
If you are actually a professional, doing this for income, you should register yourself as a business to write off travel expenses, entry fees, and equipment. Of course if you have no income from sponsorships or winnings you can’t subtract your expenses from $0 and have the IRS pay you to shoot.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts