Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a local IBO Director today at a local 3D shoot and he was saying that the IBO has modified it rules regarding the bedded buck target. Apparently, if you hit the bedded buck in the black hoof portion of the target it's still a 5 instead of a zero.
This seems silly to me, but he said that several of the pro-shooters complained at a national event about this target.

I have not seen this posted in the IBO rules yet. Has anyone else heard this?

It's seems bizarre to me that the rules would be modified for one target, but I guess everyone could potentially benefit from this rule change.
However, whether you're a pro or not, the hoof should be a zero.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
well a strong arguement would be well my arrow had proceided past where the hoof is....being its final placement would be in the belly of the target.....resulting in a 5

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
If I was a "Pro" and hit the hoof section of the Bedded Buck, I wouldn't be drawing attention to that fact I assure you.

Rules should be simple, and only modified for very good reason. When things keep changing, especially mid season, you are creating the potential for a lot of problems. A hoof or a horn is a zero. They should have left it at that.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Rule

It cost me a buckle in the southern last year. I was shooting good and when that happened I couldn't keep it together. My son lost 10 points in Erie, OH when he was a cub. I sure am glad the rule was changed. The turkey could of been shot any where and the shooter got a 5 on the score card. Good rule change.

Jim

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You mean the Pros whine too? What a shock. Put the dang arrow where it goes and it won't be a problem. If it hits hoof, you get a goose egg. If you are worried, aim for the butt and secure your 5. Thats a pretty big area with no hoof:darkbeer:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I was a "Pro" and hit the hoof section of the Bedded Buck, I wouldn't be drawing attention to that fact I assure you.

Likewise, if you're a "Pro" unless something God awful happened, you should never be down there anyhow. I'm not saying bad shots don't happen because it happens to us all. However, if I hit the bedded buck in the hoof, it's a zero for me.

I understand the point of view about hitting the turkey anywhere and getting a 5, but the rule was and should be that antlers and hooves are zero. This is obviously just my opinion.

By the way, the local IBO rep seemed to agree with me.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Always thought a zero for the hoof on a bedded buck was harsh. Afterall it is only 4 inches or so out of the bottom of the 10 ring. Now on standing animals I have no problem with the hoof as a zero but on the bedded that is another story. Would be like saying if you shot the strut turkey in the fan it was a zero.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

Likewise, if you're a "Pro" unless something God awful happened, you should never be down there anyhow. I'm not saying bad shots don't happen because it happens to us all. However, if I hit the bedded buck in the hoof, it's a zero for me.

I understand the point of view about hitting the turkey anywhere and getting a 5, but the rule was and should be that antlers and hooves are zero. This is obviously just my opinion.

By the way, the local IBO rep seemed to agree with me.
That rule was WAY before the bedded deer target was even made or even thought about. ibo probably runs a little slow. (regarding rule changes)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've ofter ?ed this rulling. Rules are rules and we shouldn't ever 2nd guess them when they are written down. How ever you get 5 points when you hit a standing deer in the leg but if you hit the bedded deer in the hoof you get 0. Isn't the leg of a standing deer further away from the 11 ring than the hoof of the bedded one? I also agree with the coment on the turkey. Either way if it is a rule it is carved in stone until changed. Once it is changed if it is or isn't I'm shure you will hear comments from both sided of the atguement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good Job

Wow. I'm impressed with the rational debate. Though, I don't agree with the ruling, there were several sound arguments for it. Especially the argument about getting a 5 for hitting a target in the leg but a zero for the hoof on a bedded buck.
If this had been posted in the bowhunter section, it would have started a holy war.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Wow. I'm impressed with the rational debate. Though, I don't agree with the ruling, there were several sound arguments for it. Especially the argument about getting a 5 for hitting a target in the leg but a zero for the hoof on a bedded buck.
If this had been posted in the bowhunter section, it would have started a holy war.
A "Jihad", a "Crusade", or a "Pogrom"?

I know if I had been on the committee making the decision, I would have sailed to victory on a river of blood flowing from the dissenters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts