Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out for the past week at various places on the property that I hunt, I have only heard movement on one of those days. So today I packed up and decided to see if I could find where the deer are moving since they show up on the trail cam.

I walked around through a tree line near a small creek, and along the edge of a soybean field. I found a fair amount of tracks that lead into the trees from the field coming from all directions. Just a little bit down from where they enter the trees there is a bunch of brush and trees. My question is, does this sound like a place where they bed down? I haven't seen any place on the property that is this congested. Also, how do you know a bedding area when you see it? And should I post up outside of this thick brush and see if I see anything?

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Could be a trail junction....bedding areas tend to be obvious.....
round dishes of compressed grass where the deer laid, often lots of droppings in and around the beds...

Be careful invading a bedding area, can move them, you want to hunt the trails leading to and away from that area...
Away at night..to in the morning..

If you are not seeing any beds, it could be trail junctions, still a good place to setup on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, thank you....

Let me preface this by saying, I am still new to this...Should I try and find the bedding area?

Also, if I hunt this spot, should I just crouch down in the soy field since I don't have a climber?(I will be getting a blind soon)

Walking around the property, I have found all types of trails that the deer use, I have found the tracks, poop, etc...I have 3 stands set up, one just off of the main trail, another off of another trail, and the 3rd is at the edge of the soy bean field where a trail passes right in front of the stand. There is a creek that the trails seem to pass over(pretty much all of the trails) Should I consider looking for new places to hunt or keep my stands where they are? if I should look for a new place what should I look for?

·
Registered
273 Posts
without looking at your area i souns like to me you should be setup in some good spots. good luck

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Its always good to know the bedding areas, that way you know where they are headed in the morning and where they are coming from in the evening.
Just be careful, hunting beds is considered a pretty aggressive desperate ploy in my book. If you bump them out of there too many times they will relocate.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Scout scout. AND off season scouting in the winter is very productive as well.

As far as just sitting in the beans, sounds like a tough shot, they will more than likely see or wind you and drawing out in the open is going to be a problem.

Another thing you have to be careful of is scarring the deer out of these areas, you may be able to get away with it once or twice, but once they figure out someone wants to throw a pointy stick at them....they won't come back.
Part of getting good at this game is knowing WHEN and how often to hunt an area. You gotta grow some seeds to be able to hold off on the good spots until its just right, but it can greatly increase your odds.

Whether I see or bump deer or not, every time I go into an area, I consider it hunted and tend not to hunt the same areas/stand more than three or 4 times a season. And if I can, I put as much as possible between visits.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you aren't seeing deer from these stands there is a reason. You just need to find out what it is. Is the wind blowing from your stands into the woods (where the deer will come from)? If so they will know you are there before they reach the field and you'll never see them. The sign you're seeing around your stands may be made at night, making it worthless to hunt. A trailcam can tell you when they are passing an area.

You don't necessarily need to know where they are bedding, but it helps. My deer tend to bed on open ridges or shady bottoms during the warm weather but switch to thicker cover as hunting pressure increases. Sounds like you already know where they are feeding (at least one of the places). The trick is to put yourself between these two spots so that they will be passing you before the end of legal shooting light. You mentioned having a trailcam. Try placing the cam on different trails leading to your field, and see which ones record deer traffic before dark. If none do then you will need to move the cam farther from the field until you find a place they are using before dark. Like the other fellas mentioned I would not intrude on a bedding area as this may cause them to leave or become nocturnal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went out this evening and actually saw 2 deer...so maybe i was just being impatient...lol

I didnt shoot them because one was a fawn, and the other was a button buck, and since we can only shoot one buck in ohio i didnt want to waste it on him(this will be my first deer) then I found out that it doesnt count as your buck which really irked me lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
the same here

i had a doe and 2 button bucks under me at 7 yards. i didnt shoot ether should i have. this is going to be my first deer as well. i didnt want to shoot the doe because she had the to youngins. i'm pretty sure i missed on this doe at the end of last season and she didnt have the youngins yet. i sucked then. i've practice all year and pretty much dead on out to 30. i hunt behind a gas station w/25 acers and a small creek behind it in the city.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I wish I woulda shot the button buck was 1) From what I read on here they are good eatin 2) just to get my first one under my belt

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Patients is the name of the game.....
If you don't enjoy watching squirrels....

Heck ya, if it doesn't cost you your buck tag..get one under your belt....

Once you hit him you have to learn to track and butcher!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Come the rut I would hunt that creek crossing like nobody's business. See if you can borrow or buy a climber before the rut, that way you can set up according to the wind. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
During the rut hunt the doe areas and you will find the bucks.
As long as you haven't burned out the spot it would be my choice come the last days in Oct. for a week or two..

Depending on the layout, the creek can act as a natural funnel, they may be walking along it and using a crossing. Look for the narrowest part of the creek or where the bank slopes down to the creek, 9 out 10 times the are all crossing in the same spot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts