Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a tough season for me guys. First, I've been in college so got to bowhunt all of two times this year. That was a bummer but whatever. Well second shotgun season rolls around here in Iowa and I go out with my group and we do drives like we have for a few years now and first day I shoot at a giant 170" buck, which would be my biggest buck. Walk up to where the shot was and find very little blood. Long story short, we tracked him over 2 miles the next day only to lose blood and never find him (we are thinking a brisket hit, deer will be fine). So that same day, 2nd day of season, we do a couple drives and I have a 150" walk by me. I lean on a branch, take a shot and swear I smoked him right behind the shoulder. Walk up to place of shot, no blood, no hair, no nothing. So at this point I'm getting pretty discouraged. I go to shoot my gun just to make sure it's me and not the gun. First shot is about 2 feet high! Second, third and fourth shot are within 4 inches of the bullseye. Next shot goes about a foot low. Gun's not grouping worth a hoot and I don't have time to mess with it. I'm actually in college and had to go back to school to take my finals for the semester. Got back for Christmas break last night and sat in the tree tonight and had a coyote come in to 20 yards and his front left foot is gone, he's not going to survive this winter anyways, and I like hunting coyotes, making some extra money selling pelts so I pulled up to shoot him, with my dad's gun tonight, mind you. I pull up, he hears me move and runs to about 30 yards and turns around. I put the crosshairs on my shoulder and "click." Now, first thought is I forgot to put a shell in right? Yeah, well there was a shell in the chamber, and not a mark on the primer anywhere like it was a dud or anything. Well maybe the slide wasn't all the way forward? (Shotguns here in Iowa) but when I shot I felt the slide release so that wasn't the issue. Got home, took a shot just to make sure firing pin wasn't jammed and it worked just fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Sorry for the pity party. I know my situation could be way worse, and I feel blessed just to have the opportunity to be out in the woods, its just getting very hard to stay positive at this point. One more weekend left. I know I cant give up. Just had to let off some steam. Make some people feel bad for me, lol

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
man i feel you completely. Im a college boy myself. I didn't get to hunt a lot this year either, opening day of gun season i shot a descent deer, no monster like i'd like. but i my best friend has been hunting with me for a long time and this year he was bout to give up, just couldn't have any luck with deer like you. Well this last Sunday the 2nd weekend of our muzzaloader season he shot his first good deer, been 7yrs sense he last shot a buck, back when we were in junior high. lol. Crazy as it sounds he hunts a lot, and has tons o big deer on camera, the day he shot the deer, the same deer had chased a doe while he was setting in his truck getting ready to get out and go to the tree, called me that moment madder than a hornet. I told him man just calm down, there's a hot doe there go hunt, He does an killed a 143in main frame 8. He was besides himself and i am to still. Stick it out, your seeing good deer, it will happen just keeping doing what your doing and it will happen.
Best of Luck Man

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it just takes a few seconds to turn a whole season around, it just gets tough to stay motivated after all that's happened so far. And Bryan, its actually funny you say that because I was able to tighten my barrel down about 4 clicks (870 shotgun) and shot two more bullets that were about a foot and a half apart, so that wasn't my problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts