Archery Talk Forum banner

Beer

14142 Views 199 Replies 83 Participants Last post by  Soocom1
This may come as a bit of a shock to some, but the simple fact is that I like beer. There, I said it, my secret's out in the open, I'm out of the closet.

I'm kindof of the mind that (espicially when it's free) there's really no such thing as a bad beer, just that some aren't quite as good as others. How it's packaged IMHO can make a lesser beer better; damn near every beer I've ever tasted (more than a couple BTW) is much better on tap, and some border on undrinkable in a can. On the whole, I think micro brewed beer is better than mass produced beer.

I've been in a Scottish Ale frame of mind lately, and have sampled the fare from ABC (Appalachain Brewing Company) Erie Brewing, and the Selin's Grove Brewing Co. None have been bad, but the Railbender (Erie's Scottish) is IMHO the pick of the litter. Remarkably consistant from start to finish, it's just a flat doggone tasty and drinkable beer.

Also had some of the Hefe from ABC a couple weeks ago, and it was very nice as well. Should be seeing more of the micro's coming out with thier Hefe's pretty soon.

So what do YOU like? Had anything good lately?
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
So what do YOU like? Had anything good lately?
My good friend Bob at Table Rock brews up Dawson Taylor Stimulator Stout... Great stuff, and its not just for breakfast anymore.

Stouts and porters are by far my favorite...:darkbeer:

I'd like to add that in the near future, I'm going to visit Ireland, I look forward to tasting their brews.

· Registered
159 Posts
My oldest stepdaughter got a job at a local pub so we thought it would be a good excuse to sample the beer list. Check out the link and give recommendations.
http://www.theunionjackpub.com/beers.php
A lot of my friends love this beer: Sierra Nevada ESB

As for me:

Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Sammy Smith's Taddy Porter

Rogues Chocolate Stout

Newcastle Brown Ale

Should be a good place to work...lol

· Registered
2,585 Posts
Did someone say BEER:darkbeer:

I like trying different beer, some of the micro brews have some top notch beer. :darkbeer:

I like dark beer....Beck's is at the top of my list, St Paulie's girl is right up there too:darkbeer:

If you like the taste of hopp's look for some Bell's beer called "Hopp's Slam"
Yum Yummy...after the second one you'll know where the slam part comes from.:beer:

· Registered
159 Posts
Thoughts on beer

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry:darkbeer:

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry:darkbeer:

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My oldest stepdaughter got a job at a local pub so we thought it would be a good excuse to sample the beer list. Check out the link and give recommendations.
http://www.theunionjackpub.com/beers.php
I see they've got Railbender there......if it's on tap, I'd highly reccommend it. Never tried it out of a bottle myself, but have heard mixed reviews.

· Registered
159 Posts
Beer Friday

The company I work for has Beer Friday... about 4:00 in the afternoon (give or take an hour), we all congregate to the break room and BS the rest of the afternoon and drink company supplied beer.

Awhile back, a woman I was dating had a "Bucket-O-Brew" delivered to me at Beer Friday... from then on we affectionately referred to them as "Man-Flowers"

:darkbeer::beer::darkbeer::beer::darkbeer:

· R.I.P.
29,187 Posts
Had that famous espresso stout just a couple of days ago, but also the "Tombe" or Tomb from www.corsairemicro.com ... 9% alcohol, Belgian Trippel style with lots of spices, malt and citrus :drool:

· Registered
2,406 Posts
Well if you are ever in Denver there is a plethora of great beer. Some of my favorites are only sold on tap...some are more commercial. The 471 Small batch IPA at the Breckenridge brewery is the main beer my friends and I drink after work...The great divide has nothing but great beers, they are one of my favorites. Their big IPA is only sold on tap but I believe its the hercules IPA you can get at distributors. All beers at the Great Divide are good IMO. The Dry Dock Brewing Company is by far my favorite brewery, what they have there is constantly changing but they 4 staple beers always on tap and they are great. I believe the brewery is about 3 years old and they have already brewed 110 different beers. They have 4 experiments always going and their 4 main beers that are always in. They have an awesome IPA, the Russian Imperial Stout is my favorite, they have a great beer called the Drunken Fairy which is 50% apple cider and is still 8.1%abv. Tastes great, almost like a sparkling wine mixed with beer. I generally like big beers, 7+%. One of my best friends in Denver is a brewmaster at the Dry Dock and he has really exposed me to a lot of great breweries in Denver area.

· Registered
6,045 Posts
If you like stout try Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout, if you can find it.
Last weekend I found a beer with the cover of a Frank Zappa album as a label, I bought it just for that but it turned out to be a pretty decent dark ale.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had that famous espresso stout just a couple of days ago, but also the "Tombe" or Tomb from www.corsairemicro.com ... 9% alcohol, Belgian Trippel style with lots of spices, malt and citrus :drool:
One of the brew pubs in the area (Selin's Grove) does a Belgian Trippel that's quite nice, and packs a helluva whallop, believe it's north of 9%.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you like stout try Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout, if you can find it.
Last weekend I found a beer with the cover of a Frank Zappa album as a label, I bought it just for that but it turned out to be a pretty decent dark ale.
Hmmmmm....talking about darkbeer......that's a pretty effective calling technique as I understand it.......I expect H4E to be along any minute now.

· R.I.P.
29,187 Posts
Hmmmmm....talking about darkbeer......that's a pretty effective calling technique as I understand it.......I expect H4E to be along any minute now.
Yep, that should pull her in:spy::chortle:

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.