Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So this is a little off-topic, but I'm curious. I was out this past weekend on a follow-up search for a deer that I shot a couple days earlier (never did find him, though I looked for 8 total hours... sucked; my biggest buck ever... anyway, that's a different thread) when I walked up on a bees nest hanging from the limb of a little bush out in the middle of an abandoned pasture. I spotted it from a distance at first and I was so confused as to what it was, I actually pulled out binoculars to check it out before moving in closer.

It's the biggest nest I've ever seen. I'm not kidding when I say, I'd have a hard time fitting it into a 5-gallon bucket. I was really curious about it, but hesitant to get too close to it of course. So I'm wondering, this time of year, as cold as it is, it can't possibly be active, right? Does anyone know?

I'll be honest, I'm kind of afraid to walk up and find out the hard way... haha! But if I knew it was empty, I might take it home, though I'm not sure what the heck I'd do with it.

What do you think? Thanks!

-Witty

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
All be over to your house in about a hour w/ a moving crew , you know to move your house to my backyard ! :icon_1_lol:

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Since you haven't put where you are from on your signature.

I'll assume that was a hornets nest. It should ne empty since you should have had several freezes. I would not mess with it unless it was freezing at the time and then I'd cut it down and place it in a large garbage bag. Spray a can of wasp spray inside the bag and seal it. The next day you can brush a sealer on it to preserve it.

·
Bettering the last.....
5,713 Posts
theyre in there and dormant couple threads on how to save the nest- search bees nest

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure where you live but it is probably a Bald Faced Hornet nest. I have had good results with 2 large garbage bags,and a fogger that you get at a hardware store. Put nest in bags,set off fogger,tie bag shut and warm them up. The material in the fogger stays active for several hours,long enough to make them active in the bags and kill them. Or you can put it in a bag and put in a deep freeze for a couple weeks(below zero for 2-3 weeks will kill the larvae) then you can hang it in your house without worry.

·
Registered
594 Posts
shoot an arrow in and find out. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I'm in Virginia, just outside of D.C.

-Witty

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesn't sound like you really need anything more to drink Mr. Crazy Wolf sir. You seem to be doing just fine without me.

:)

-Witty

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Doesn't sound like you really need anything more to drink Mr. Crazy Wolf sir. You seem to be doing just fine without me.

:)

-Witty

Done went Canadian tonight ! Just two Labatts Blues. Hey stick your finger up in the hole of that bees nest, if nothin comes out your good to go ! :wink:

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Go poke it with a short stick?
if that doesn't work, put it in large garbage bag with fogger. don't be deceived. i wouldn't put it in your warm house until you're sure all of the larvae are dead. you might be in for an unpleasant surprise. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts