Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a bow for a couple bucks at a thrift store. It's a Pearson No. 3340 60 inch 25# (yellow fiberglass with a black rubber handle) and I want to get started in beginning archery with my kids.

Can someone point me in the right direction on the how-to's to use this for a beginner such as:

What strings should I get for this?
What's the right way to string it up?
What should I look for in arrows to use for just target practice?
Anything I should know on care and maintenance for the bow and strings?
Any other beginner tips?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
As far as a string I'd say visit your local archery shop and they might point you in the right direction. They should also be able to show you how to string it up. You can find some inexpensive arrows at a discount place like WalMart. Look for the weakest spine you can find. It will be a number printed on the arrow and the higher number the better. You shouldn't have to unstring and restring the bow as it wont hurt the fiberglass for it to remain strung.

Get a cheap finger tab as well as an arm guard. Both will save you some sore fingers and a sore bow arm. You could probably get a cardboard box and stuff it with either newspapers or tightly packed plastic grocery bags you can use as a target.
Check out some of the videos on You Tube for some advice.

Good luck with your archery adventure.

·
Registered
19,824 Posts
Before you just show up at your local archery shop call them to see if they have anybody there that knows recurves. And not somebody that is just Internet smart, somebody that actually shoots them regularly... That's actually hard to find in a modern bow shop.

I'm not trying to steer you away from your local archery shop, just most people I've met in the modern bow shop is recurve stupid... They only know what they read.

If there's nobody in USA archery that can help you, put a feeler out here... There should be somebody within an hour of you.

If you happen to be in the Houston area I'd be glad to help

·
Registered
19,824 Posts
I don't recall if that bow is fast flight compatible or not, I would suggest a Flemish twist string of B50 material. It'll get you started without causing problems to the bow.

Length I believe is 56" but it might be 57, somebody else can comment here.

The problem you're gonna have is that you really need feathers instead of vanes …. vanes don't have enough flex in them And will cause erratic arrow flight. Your typical bow shop and Academy or Walmart generally only carry vane type fletched arrows...

The spine is probably gonna be around 700 or so... Probably not a significant issue right now. When I worked at a range our standard arrow was a Genesis that is a 500 spine arrow…. it worked for pretty much everything From kids to adults and and 15 pounds to almost 50 pounds, We just fletched them with 4" feathers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts