Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to archery and I'm looking to buy my first bow and set of arrows. My draw length is around 27". I'm most likely going to get a Samick Sage (good price for a beginner bow) in about 30 or 35 lbs draw weight (seems to be a good weight for a beginner male), hopefully working up to 40 to 45 lbs draw weight at a later date (and perhaps adding heavier points for hunting).

Now I just need to work out which arrows to buy. The two main things I need to decide on are arrow length and spine. Ideally, I'd like to buy a set that I can use on both my 30-35 lb weight and my 40-45 lb weight limbs, but of course I know this may not be possible. Looking at spine charts, the Carbon Express Heritage arrows in 30" (is this fine at my draw length for a beginner?) seem to be suitable in their 150 spine rating (0.495") for recurve bows anywhere between 30 and 45 lbs.

Before I splash out on a set of arrows, I just want to know if I'm right in this. I know that I can cut the shafts down, or add more weight to the points, etc to affect spine. I just wonder if my suggestion of 30", 150 spine arrows is a good place to start for my use?

·
(aka lug nut)
47,415 Posts
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to archery and I'm looking to buy my first bow and set of arrows. My draw length is around 27". I'm most likely going to get a Samick Sage (good price for a beginner bow) in about 30 or 35 lbs draw weight (seems to be a good weight for a beginner male), hopefully working up to 40 to 45 lbs draw weight at a later date (and perhaps adding heavier points for hunting).

Now I just need to work out which arrows to buy. The two main things I need to decide on are arrow length and spine. Ideally, I'd like to buy a set that I can use on both my 30-35 lb weight and my 40-45 lb weight limbs, but of course I know this may not be possible. Looking at spine charts, the Carbon Express Heritage arrows in 30" (is this fine at my draw length for a beginner?) seem to be suitable in their 150 spine rating (0.495") for recurve bows anywhere between 30 and 45 lbs.

Before I splash out on a set of arrows, I just want to know if I'm right in this. I know that I can cut the shafts down, or add more weight to the points, etc to affect spine. I just wonder if my suggestion of 30", 150 spine arrows is a good place to start for my use?
Do not start with 35 lb limbs. Start with 25 lb limbs because it is NOT about how heavy a suitcase you can lift with one hand. Recurve archery is COMPLETELY about control. As a beginner, the idea is to learn enough CONTROL so that you can put all the fletched arrows into a reasonable diameter group size at 5 yards, then, a reasonable group size at 10 yards, then, a reasonable group size at 15 yards and then master a reasonable group size at 20 yards....with the 25 lb limbs. Then, your next set of limbs will be 30 lb rated limbs. STart all over again at 5 yards, and work up to mastering 10 yards.

The 0.495 inches is the SPINE rating, how much the arrow bends in a testing machine. 150 is a model number and means nothing. Until you can measure the pounds on your fingers, with an actual bow, at full draw...not knowing the measured draw length is a bad idea, to be purchasing arrows, because your form with an actual recurve bow in your hand, will affect your FULl draw posture, and your recurve draw length will change... over time. So, if you are using a formula to GUESS at your draw length, you will end up with the wrong arrow spine rating.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,415 Posts
Hi all,

If you purchase 30 lb limbs, and IF your recurve draw length ends up at 27-inches, then your POUNDS on the fingers will be 28 lbs. 62-inch Samick Sage recurve bow, an EXCELLENT choice, and if you set the brace height at 8.5-inches....yes, this makes a difference, then my recommendations are as follows.

EASTON XX75 Platinum Plus aluminum arrows
2.5-inch Gateway feathers
Have the pro shop cut the arrow END of NOCK GROOVE to END of SHAFT at 29.5-inches.
Have inserts glued into the front of the arrow and purchase 145 grain screw in field points.

This combination (point weight) and very light feathers at the back end, and the HEAVY 145 grain screw in field points, will tune nicely for you. IF the draw length ends up LONGER than 27-inches, you can tune the arrow with a lighter screw in field point. If your draw length ends up SHORTER than 27-inches, then, you can tune the arrow with a HEAVIER screw in field point. This arrow is more than long enough to be safe for you to use, whatever draw length you end up at.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,415 Posts
Hi all,

The Carbon Express Heritage Model 150 arrow is WAY too stiff for you to use. This happens with nearly 99% of ALL of my recurve students. They are sold the wrong arrow, RIDICULOUSLY too stiff for a beginner wooden recurve bow, and they end up purchasing arrows twice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts