Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get into traditional archery and looking to get a bow soon. I was thinking of a Samick Journey. I shoot a 30" draw on my compound and have read that the Journey is more for longer draws than the Sage. There is a shop in driving distance that has these in package deals that have some of the extras. My plan is to go try to shoot one there and go with the package. I think it comes with a finger glove, quiver, and maybe some arrows I'm not sure for around $170. Does this sound like a good start? or should I be looking at better quality used bows? I also have no clue what draw weight to get. I know they have replaceable limbs on these and that will help. I shoot 74lbs now on my compound so I think I would be able to shoot 40-50#s from the start but I could be wrong. I plan to eventually hunt with this bow as well. Any info would help thanks.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Wanting to get into traditional archery and looking to get a bow soon. I was thinking of a Samick Journey. I shoot a 30" draw on my compound and have read that the Journey is more for longer draws than the Sage. There is a shop in driving distance that has these in package deals that have some of the extras. My plan is to go try to shoot one there and go with the package. I think it comes with a finger glove, quiver, and maybe some arrows I'm not sure for around $170. Does this sound like a good start? or should I be looking at better quality used bows? I also have no clue what draw weight to get. I know they have replaceable limbs on these and that will help. I shoot 74lbs now on my compound so I think I would be able to shoot 40-50#s from the start but I could be wrong. I plan to eventually hunt with this bow as well. Any info would help thanks.
Allot will depend on what your specific GOALS are?

Based on your compound bow's draw weight...I would guess you are wanting to hunt with your recurve someday. Correct?

Samick bows are generally a good way to get involved with trad gear. Allot will depend on how much you are willing to spend and what you will be satisfied with. Do you have a price range that you're trying to stay within?

When an archer wants to make the transition from compound to trad I always suggest they multiply their compound bow's peak draw weight by .6 and .7 to get a ball park figure of draw weights they most likely can handle.

Based on your compound bow's peak draw weight...that puts you somewhere between 44lbs. - 51lbs. Allot will depend upon your personal strength and how often you shot your bow. If you shoot it allot weekly...you may be on the upper end of that range and if you shoot once a month or less...you will most likely be on the lower range or even lighter.

I highly suggest that you do try out some bows first like you're planning on :thumbs_up

Ray :shade:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with the Samick series because of the prices. I'de like to stay on the cheaper end definitely. And yes I plan on hunting with it as soon as I can become confident enough in my shooting.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I went with the Samick series because of the prices. I'de like to stay on the cheaper end definitely. And yes I plan on hunting with it as soon as I can become confident enough in my shooting.
So do you see this as just your starter bow or do you planning on this being your hunting bow also?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Just got a Samick Polaris in 24#s at 28" to give to a girlfriend. She chose my beloved 21" Hoyt Excel with long 24# WW/SF Axiom+ limbs. So now I have been shooting the Samick Polaris with 26#s on the fingers for form work. You might want to start at around 30#s at your draw length for form work and transition to hunting weight when you think you are ready? I have heard many good things about the Journey and hope to get some 30# Journey limbs to put on my Polaris...some day?

Also consider going ILF.

Here is some info on a first bow kit:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1588147

Here is some vid on form and exercises:
http://www.archerygb.org/support/operations/coaches/coaching_videos.php

Here is some info on tuning:
http://veraxservice.net/arch/tune.html

Good Luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I plan on this being a starter bow as well as hunting with it eventually. Thats kinda what geared me towards a bow that I can eventually get heavier pound limbs for. Thanks for the links. I plan on doing some major reading a research here soon. I did things a little backwards and asked you guys for help before actually researching a whole lot myself. I'm sure I will have plenty of more detailed questions once I do some reading.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Yes I plan on this being a starter bow as well as hunting with it eventually. Thats kinda what geared me towards a bow that I can eventually get heavier pound limbs for.
That does open you up to even more options. If you're planning on upgrading limbs or even the whole bow at some point before you hunt...than there's really no reason to not get lighter limbs unless you can truly handle the heavier ones.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on trying to shoot one with 40# limbs so I could hunt with it without having to upgrade. If its too heavy ill go lighter and then upgrade at a later date. Will I know for sure if its too heavy with just a few shots at a store?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Looks like you're on the right track to me. I would look closely at the 'package' though. Some of those items could be lower quality stuff, which will get you started but you will wind up replacing them.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Will I know for sure if its too heavy with just a few shots at a store?
Not necessarily...unless you're honest with yourself and know your body pretty well.

A fair test is to also try and hold anchor for 6 - 10 sec. without shaking.

The key is being able to have complete control over your bow as you're drawing and shooting it.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
What letoff does your compound have? Generally a trad bow around twice the holding weight of your compound at your draw length will be comfortable.
74# with 75% letoff is only holding 18.5#
A 40# trad bow drawn to 30" could be 3x the holding weight.

-Grant

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My draw length will probably shorten quite a bit with a trad bow right? I saw that a lot of people use the corner of their mouth as an anchor which would shorten my draw I would imagine.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
My draw length will probably shorten quite a bit with a trad bow right? I saw that a lot of people use the corner of their mouth as an anchor which would shorten my draw I would imagine.
Allot depends on where you anchored and if you used a release or not. Body alignment should basically remain the same...especially if you are shooting with a vertical bow and vertical body position.

In some cases people have increased their draw length making the switch...but it is more common that an archer will decrease their draw length by an inch or two making the switch.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I'm almost 1" longer with my Trad equipment and a high anchor vs. a compound with a hand-held release (28.75 vs. 28), I gain 1/2" with a wrist strap release. But then again most compounds get set at least 1/2" too long in DL from what I've seen.

-Grant

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
What letoff does your compound have? Generally a trad bow around twice the holding weight of your compound at your draw length will be comfortable.
74# with 75% letoff is only holding 18.5#
A 40# trad bow drawn to 30" could be 3x the holding weight.

-Grant

Does not compute. Could you explain the math? Your generally formula would be 37lb.
3x18.5=55.5 A pretty good stretch for a 2" draw past the normal 28" bow. I did see the word 'could', lots of stuff could be.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
80% let-off was the "could".

-Grant

·
Banned
278 Posts
Wow. A new guy in trad! Congrats and welcome. There is so much to learn trad archery. I hope you excel! Any questions you have, I'm your guy! And so is Black wolf. I've never had a convo with him, but he seems experienced.
Good luck
THEFOREVERMAN

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to local Cabelas today and shot a Samick Sage 45lbs. They didn't have a Samick Journey and the Sage was the only adult bow they had under $200. The weight didn't seem like an issue and I really liked the bow and shot about 15 arrows. After the 3rd shot or so I was able to group some arrows decent around the bullseye, but that was only at 10yds. I was shooting 3 fingers under the nock and using my middle finger at the corner of my mouth as an anchor. No glove or tab just using my bare fingers. I held the bow at anchor for 6-8 seconds a few times and didn't have very much shake if any so I don't think the 45lb weight was an issue. I definitely don't think I want to shoot any more weight though as the 45lbs seemed like plenty until I get the hang of it.

One thing I did notice while shooting was that some arrows were flying a little funky and I could see it as I shot. I asked the Cabelas worker if they were the correct spine arrow and he said that they were so I'm not sure why the erratic flight. Was it because maybe I wasn't releasing the string evenly from my fingers? Will a tab style of release aide help with this?

I didn't buy the bow today because I have seen them a lot cheaper than Cabelas had them. Also wanted to see what you guys had to say. Any info or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
One thing I did notice while shooting was that some arrows were flying a little funky and I could see it as I shot. I asked the Cabelas worker if they were the correct spine arrow and he said that they were so I'm not sure why the erratic flight. Was it because maybe I wasn't releasing the string evenly from my fingers? Will a tab style of release aide help with this?
Not sure about your release, but as far as bow tuning issues I find that either too low of a brace height or nock point will cause fishtailing or up and down movement of the arrow in flight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts