Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am an entry level archer with an interest in bow hunting and I am looking for recommendations on the best books and videos to get to increase my knowledge levels.

Unfortunately, my local archery store closed over the holidays, and the Air Force is sending me overseas for a few months, so my hands on time on my bow will be very limited before I leave.

I will have some time on my hands when I deploy and I figured I can download YouTube videos and read up on what it takes to be a better archer. I am particularly interested in bow maintenance, bow hunting skills and whatever else you all would recommend.

Thanks for your help with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
800 Posts
For overall knowledge of hunting and bow tuning and maintenance look on YouTube for John Dudley and listen to his podcast called “Nockon” search , John Dudley, nockon on Facebook, YouTube. Anything with Dudley is straight up and a wealth of information on beginning bow shooting to tuning to hunt. He has won many pro tournaments, USA team coach , maker of some outstanding releases, the Silverback, and Nock2it and fixing to release the third release called 2Smooth. Gregg Poole has podcast called “Bowjunkie” He is an awesome guy with great knowledge as well. Hundreds of podcasts and videos between those two. Honestly just those two guys alone can take someone that’s never touched a bow and lead you through beginning to tuning to shooting deer and tournaments. Good luck

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Hi, welcome to AT, thanks for your service. What is your AFSPC, I was a B-52 Crew Chief. Sounds like you are going about this correctly, bowshootn70's advice is spot on, You might also want to look at GRIV TAW (thing a week). You can search thousands on archery related video's on Youtube, watch the archery competitons and pay attention to the archers form. I would you recommend you purchase the tools to work on your bow, learn how (not rocket science) and purchase top of the line used equipment. Bows improve incrementally year to year, and in spite of the marketing they change little, there is a lot of improvement over a 10 year old bow, but a 1 or 2 year old bow foe half price is a deal if you can work on it yourself. Many accessories come with a lifetime warranty (even some of the older Elite bows) like HHA and QAD and a lot of others. You are probably traveling and can't get a full size press right now, but look at the portable presses out there (spend $100 and get a good one). They are not as fast and handy as a full size press, but they get the job done. You can build a draw board (look at the DIY section on AT for plans/instructions) if traveling, you can always keep the hardware and get a new 2 x 6 when you get there. Good Luck, you can PM me if you have any questions!

·
DeaD Middle
4,447 Posts
For overall knowledge of hunting and bow tuning and maintenance look on YouTube for John Dudley and listen to his podcast called “Nockon” search , John Dudley, nockon on Facebook, YouTube. Anything with Dudley is straight up and a wealth of information on beginning bow shooting to tuning to hunt. He has won many pro tournaments, USA team coach , maker of some outstanding releases, the Silverback, and Nock2it and fixing to release the third release called 2Smooth. Gregg Poole has podcast called “Bowjunkie” He is an awesome guy with great knowledge as well. Hundreds of podcasts and videos between those two. Honestly just those two guys alone can take someone that’s never touched a bow and lead you through beginning to tuning to shooting deer and tournaments. Good luck
Pretty much what I would say..
BTW welcome

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi, welcome to AT, thanks for your service. What is your AFSPC, I was a B-52 Crew Chief. Sounds like you are going about this correctly, bowshootn70's advice is spot on, You might also want to look at GRIV TAW (thing a week). You can search thousands on archery related video's on Youtube, watch the archery competitons and pay attention to the archers form. I would you recommend you purchase the tools to work on your bow, learn how (not rocket science) and purchase top of the line used equipment. Bows improve incrementally year to year, and in spite of the marketing they change little, there is a lot of improvement over a 10 year old bow, but a 1 or 2 year old bow foe half price is a deal if you can work on it yourself. Many accessories come with a lifetime warranty (even some of the older Elite bows) like HHA and QAD and a lot of others. You are probably traveling and can't get a full size press right now, but look at the portable presses out there (spend $100 and get a good one). They are not as fast and handy as a full size press, but they get the job done. You can build a draw board (look at the DIY section on AT for plans/instructions) if traveling, you can always keep the hardware and get a new 2 x 6 when you get there. Good Luck, you can PM me if you have any questions!
Yes , wow I can’t believe I left out George Royals. Griv thing a week and his videos are top notch . He diffidently is a “guru” of archery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your help. I think I downloaded all of the Nock Archery YouTube videos. I will also check out George Royals and GRIV TAW as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Thank you all for your help. I think I downloaded all of the Nock Archery YouTube videos. I will also check out George Royals and GRIV TAW as well.
That's George Ryals. Most of his videos are sponsored by Last Chance Archery. They are excellent as are the other sources mentioned above.

For a book, Bernie Pellerite's "Idiot Proof Archery" is good. You do have to ignore a lot of BS. But it has information from one of the best archery coaches ever, Len Cardinale.

There is also Terry Wunderle's book, "Think and shoot like a champion". Terry has coached several hundred national & international champions.

Allen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts